Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Island dweller

Default riplee's ranch

Quote:
HOLISTIC ORIGINAL DOG FOOD

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Steamed Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Rice Bran, Whole Ground Flax Seed, Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Salmon Oil, Natural Chicken Flavours, Chicory Root, Dried Whole Egg, Yucca Schidigera, Glucosamine HCI, Chondroitin Sulfate, Marigold Extract, L-Carnitine Supplement, Kelp, Carrots, Spinach, Tomatoes, Apples, Green Tea, Ginseng, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, DL Alpha-Tocopherol, Acetate (Vitamin E), Methionine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, *Iron Bioplex™, *Zinc Bioplex™, *Maganese Bioplex™, Biotin, *Copper Bioplex™, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin K Supplement, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12, Iodine Protienate, Folic Acid, *Chelated Mineral

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Crude Protein (min.) 27.0%, Crude Fat (min) 14.0%, Crude Fiber (max) 2.5%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) 2.0%, Calcium (min.) 1.2%, Phosphorus (min.) 1.1%, *Linolenic Acid (Omega3) (min.) 0.4%
http://www.dogsbreakfast.ca/Ingredients.htm

thoughts?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Couch Pototoe City

I did not get very far with it before I had a problem with it. I like meat not meat meal and that is the first ingredient Then followed by grains. ..
Old 09-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Island dweller

Where did you buy it BM? It's a local food so I'm curious how you found it.

Well it's not being sold as a grain-free formula. And meat meal? Why would have a problem with that? Seems to me all meat is meat meal so it can be put into kibble form. Well I have no problem with the chicken meal.

I'm wondering about the long list of 'extras.'
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
Where did you buy it BM? It's a local food so I'm curious how you found it.

Well it's not being sold as a grain-free formula. And meat meal? Why would have a problem with that? Seems to me all meat is meat meal so it can be put into kibble form. Well I have no problem with the chicken meal.

I'm wondering about the long list of 'extras.'
I have not found it.. I was looking at the ingredients posted. As I said " I did not have to look far" into it..
Meat "meals" are faulted for several reasons. While its a long debate, choosing a food for my dogs, if not feeding raw, I would avoid any product that had a " meal. " Of course still not as bad as " biproduct".
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spri...ngredients.htm
Several times I have read some good articles on evaulating pet foods. In most of them number one not having a defined meat ( and only meat) as ingredient one, and two- the use of grains as the second listing of ingredients is not a good rating.
( keep in mind- I feed raw and have since 1984 therefore I am highly suspect of most dog foods.. Actually only two I like.. )
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Island dweller

Where on that site does it say anything about chicken meal being bad? And WHY would it be bad. I understand you like feeding raw but ground up meat is not bad.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Couch Pototoe City

"Meal" is not a defined meat source is the problem I have with it..
http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodglos...hickenmeal.htm . "Chicken Meal" is inferior to " chicken" but not as bad as chicken by products ( unless you know the by product source such as organ meat- even then- thats a streatch.. )
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Island dweller

Chicken is chicken. It says chicken meal. Not "Meat meal." If it said "chicken" you wouldn't know what part of the chicken came from but you'd know it was chicken. Same as chicken meal. Just ground... for kibble.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Couch Pototoe City

But chicken meal is still chicken meal. And I am sure while some support the use of " meal" verses " meat" - there are just as many that disagree that "meal" is as good as meat. Its been a long debate.. ( and please remember- I am biased against kibble food.. It would have to be really good for me not to raise an eyebrow..)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Island dweller

<sigh> Chicken meal IS chicken meat. It's just processed differently. It's meat that has been ground. STILL CHICKEN.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Twin 2.0

The chicken meal doesn't bother me. That's ground up meat and bone. It's not by-product meal, so it's fine.

The Vitamin K bothers me though.