Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Thumbs down Its worse

I am now seeking profesional help

Just earlier, we were all in the living room. Jazz, Emma, Eric and I. The room is huge. Well Emma was sleeping on the floor, across the room from Jazz. Jazz calmly walked up to Emma, and I mean calm and peacfull. I was keeping an eye on her though. Then she just grabs Emma by the head and shakes!! Now she's growling. I yelled at her and she let go. Emma ran away and Jazz got put in her kennel with me still "yelling" in my growly voice.

I am also going to be purchasing a muzzle for Jazz. She continues to be fine at aglity class and wil people. She just cant stand Emma all of a sudden.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Show Dog

I wish I had any sort of answer for you It is a tough position to be in that is for sure. Several years ago I had a dane that started doing exactly what you are describing. It was right as she hit her 2 year mark as well. Both dogs were spayed young and the dane was a very young puppy when I got her. I tried and tried and tried with them, but ended up having to rehome the dane. She did great in an only dog house, but I *still* feel like I failed her somehow. I won't have two females again because of that (even though I know lots of people do it successfully...I'm just too paranoid).
Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Active Pup

This is Jazz, the CH dobe, correct? I do not know if you had plans to breed her before, but if you did, I hope now you are seriously reconsidering.

Unfortunately yelling at and shoving her in a crate is only to release your own anger and truly does little to cure the situation. However, until you can seriously begin to improve her issues, she does need to be managed. Crated when not supervised, and when supervised she should be muzzled.

And if after attempts to cure her and she doesn't improve, you may have to reconsider spaying her and placing her in an only dog pet home.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by assortedagility View Post
This is Jazz, the CH dobe, correct? I do not know if you had plans to breed her before, but if you did, I hope now you are seriously reconsidering.

Unfortunately yelling at and shoving her in a crate is only to release your own anger and truly does little to cure the situation. However, until you can seriously begin to improve her issues, she does need to be managed. Crated when not supervised, and when supervised she should be muzzled.

And if after attempts to cure her and she doesn't improve, you may have to reconsider spaying her and placing her in an only dog pet home.
You would reconsider breeding a dog that's breed sometimes shows DA??

As for the rest..... I hope you get the situation managed. It's awful living with dogs that don't get along. Been there, done that.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

I'm so glad to hear that you're willing to get professional help. I hope you will be able to find a good trainer in your area who can help you with this! Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Twin 2.0

I think there's a difference between a breed that shows DA and a dog that will stalk and attack a sleeping dog without provocation.

Talk to Doc, see what she says.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Squishy face

I remember seeing an episode of that vet hospital show on animal planet where these people had a female german shepherd and a female dachshund. The german shepherd attacked the dacshund, sending her to the animal hospital. The people didn't want to get rid of either dog, so they did crate and rotate. Be prepared to need to do that.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Have you taken EMMA to the vet? When Ted was sick, toward the end, with his cancer (not saying Emma has something like that) we had a lot of random attacks from Bear who was always buddy buddy with Ted before. But if there's something that's changing Emma's chemistry, how she smells, etc, it might be causing Jazz to react badly. Just another thought.
<3
Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think there's a difference between a breed that shows DA and a dog that will stalk and attack a sleeping dog without provocation.

Talk to Doc, see what she says.
Exactly what I was thinking...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Talked to Doc. We both agree that it is probabex agression. Common in dobes, although more common in males. She is going to put me in touch with a behaviourist closed to me as she is a few hours away.

Emma is in the vets regualrly for full blood work as she isnt verry stable with her Adisions.

As for spaying Jazz that will be a last resort. Same sex agression is common in dobes and I dont feal that is a reason to spay. Although if it comes out that there is something else here then yes it is at the back of my mind. It would be different if it was HA

I whont re home if they cant get along. I will just have to mannage

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show