Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Salty Sea Dog

depending on your areas advantix will work better than forntline and visa versa. this area of CT fleas and ticks will bite through and live thought frontline plus, but the advantix kills them all in 12 hours...

the next woen over most prefer frontline because the opposite is true...

fleas and ticks DO become pesticide resistent!

in terms of helping with its peppermint (or any mint based) shampoo will help with itching.

i keep a bottle of peppermint/teatrea around simply because my parents cocker has nasty flea allergies...the peppermint teatree helps the itching and steralizes.

this time of year is FLEA SEASON, there out, there biting and biting HARD. same goes for mosquitoes!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Where did you get the diatomecious earth?
I've always heard it was good stuff to use for bugs and worms and such.. but no idea on wheres to get it!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Where did you get the diatomecious earth?
I've always heard it was good stuff to use for bugs and worms and such.. but no idea on wheres to get it!
We had to really hunt to find some. DO NOT use the pool grade stuff, it is treated with chemicals and is toxic!

One of our local health food stores had bags of it. The clerk was like, "dia-tenacious what?" lol. The manager heard me ask though, and he showed me where it was. They had it in their pet section, though it is human food grade. If you can't find anywhere that carries it locally, you can buy it many places online. Just google, "food grade diatomaceous earth" and a whole bunch of websites will pop up. It is light as a feather, so even with the smaller poundage you will be getting a lot in volume.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Island dweller

Dont' forget that DE is really hard on your lungs so don't breath it in or let your family inhale it.

frontline didn't do much for us either
Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Resident fainting goat

k9advantix worked for us

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Taxiderpy

Our vet just prescribed something called "Comfortis" for Strider. It is a pill that is taken internally and kills the fleas for a month. And from what I understand, the fleas don't have to bite him. They jump on, get poisoned, jump ship, and die. Within 4 hours of eating the pill all fleas on the dog are supposed to be dead. D-E-D dead. lol. The diatomecious earth controls the fleas in his environment, but the second he steps outside dozens jump on and reinfest his poor little body. And he is reacting worse and worse and time goes by, so we needed something to just keep them from biting him at all if possible.

Anyway, since it's pretty new I googled reviews and read the whole thing carefully. A lot of people are raving about it, and there seems to have been few poor reactions, and those seem to be limited to puking the pill up or loose stools. It should come some time next week, so when it does he will be under close scrutiny and I'll give you guys some feedback about how it works for him.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Frontline did absolutely nothing for us
I did the 'old fashioned' way - dawn dish soap bath, and then a good old fashioned flea comb. I vaccuumed twice a day, putting baking powder down both times. Put baking powder under their beds, and gave them brewers yeast. I'm not sure what worked, but something did

Good luck!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Big Dog

hi i used dawn dish soap it works great for flees make sure you rise good with cool water do not get in ears or eyes good luck
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM
rayter

Yeah Frontline works! But I already tired scrubbing my dog down really good with Dawn dish soap. I know it sounds weird, but it really killed the fleas. You need to make sure and leave it on for a couple minutes though.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Active Pup

Although treating fleas on a dog is one thing, getting them to leave from your house and yard is another!

Although I've luckily not experienced this problem with my pup, the article below might be of some help...
http://www.dog-names-and-more.com/Dog-Fleas.html

If you're not aggressive now, you'll pay later with a larger infestation that's harder to get rid of.