Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Backward_Cinderella

Default FRICK! We have FLEAS!!!

a;sldkjfsaldkfjsdlfkj
I KNEW this would happen the moment I groomed my first dog with fleas here.
I never saw a single flea in AZ.
Not one.
EVER.
Now Bobsie and Doom have them.
Bring on the frontline.

UGH.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

Good luck! I hope the frontline works. It didn't for us this time and we have been trying everything to get rid of the fleas, but we're still finding a couple a day on everyone
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Same here (dang Frontline! Urgh!) Strider got a bath two days ago and I let the soap sit until all the fleas died....2 hours later I found a new one. We've been vacuuming like mad. I can't try Advantix until the Frontline "wears off" so he doesn't get poisoned.

We're picking up some Diatomaceous Earth as soon as I am able. One of my friends swears by it. She made a carpet powder by putting it in a baby powder shaker thing, and added some cinnamon for cinnamony goodness. Shakes it all over the carpet and vacuums it up. It totally slices the ribbons out of flea eggs and fleas, so no toxins involved. I'm wondering if it would be safe to put directly on the dog . We used to feed it to our chickens as a non-toxic dewormer, but they eat rocks and I know you're not really supposed to inhale the dust of the DE.

Does anyone know of something to relieve the itchiness of flea bites? Some kind of cream or spray? He's completely miserable.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Backward_Cinderella

I don't know. I do know that I've seen a decrease since I covered them in cinnamon last night, though!!! LoL
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Try the frontline spray. It killed all stages of fleas in the house when they jumped on the dogs. Washed their bedding, don't have carpet so no vacuuming, but the spray stuff work GREAT. They stopped itching within 24 hours. Seriously. And I've seen fleas, but there are none on the dogs or cats, and any I find are dead.

Now for the yard, which is why we still have fleas around.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post

Now for the yard, which is why we still have fleas around.
This is probably our problem too. Grr
Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Active Pup

Default Flea Free

I found myself paying significant amounts of money for flea medication, and finally decided to research other options. It seemed like nearly every time I woud apply the flea medicine, one of the dogs would need a bath. I know they say it still works even if you give your dog a bath, but it didn't work for me.

I started using a product called Flea Free, which is this garlicy smelling juice that you put in their water. I use it for all of my animals, and it works great. I haven't seen a single insect anywhere in my home. It doesn't make my dogs (or their breath) smell either.
This dog is driving me crazy!! Have you ever wondered why you can't seem to change your dogs behavior? I tried everything, and NOTHING worked. Until now. I WISH I would have known about this years ago!

http://irecommend.us/recommends/SitStayFetch!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

goodluck with your flea battle
Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Taxiderpy

Update: The diatomecious earth worked!

I treated all rugs in our house with it, vacuumed it up. Did the car. Washed all the bedding and cushions. Haven't seen any fleas in two weeks. We don't have a yard, but apparently you can sprinkle it on your lawn to kill the bugs. Just be aware that it will kill beneficial bugs as well, so don't go too crazy with it.

Some very important things I learned though:

DO NOT buy the pool grade DE. It is treated with chemicals that are toxic.

You can get human food grade DE from health food stores. I got a huge bag for $3.00. It is used for killing internal parasites in people. I took it (supposed to be 1 tbsp per 100 lbs of person, it's impossible to overdose) just because I am always paranoid that I have worms. So now I know for sure there are none, lol.

For roundworms it has to be taken 7 days straight. This is because it doesn't hurt the eggs. After 7 days the cycle has been broken.

It takes 90 days to get rid of lungworms with it. Same thing, have to catch them at the right part of the lifecycle, where they are vulnerable and in the digestive system.

Gets rid of tapeworms. Don't have a timeframe on it. When I first started giving it to Strider he pooped out a giant mess of round and tapeworms *barfs*. That was the worst dog doo ever to pick up. Not too surprising though, since most dogs get tapeworms from fleas. The 7 days are up, but it is so cheap that I am giving it to him (and myself) every day now to prevent any re infestation.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Backward_Cinderella

Wow! Thanks Romy! I'm glad to hear it worked... we'll have to try it. Frontline didn't work for us. Go figure. *sigh*