Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
<----Thanks Allie

LOL, yeah you make sense!

The breed is Cardigan Welsh Corgi. Collies are my all time love, BUT I've decided that I can't do another large dog for a while. I read a lot about pembroke vs cardigan and I think the cardi personality is more my speed.

I don't know that much about the 2 dogs yet, as I haven't met with her yet. I just saw the pics of them. I did look at the pics, with the breed standard though... of course being that i'm new I'm sure what I see could be all kinds of wrong! LOL. So I want to know what to ask her when I do meet her which will prob be next week or after. So, yes, all questions and concerns or tips are greatly appreciated!

and why would a co-ownership be expected?

ETA- borzi I would NOT rehome the dog! that's why I was asking what people think of getting an older vs a younger one! And I was asking what else there is to do bc I didn't know if there were like conformation shows where only CHs can compete or if I had to do something else like aglity once I got a CH.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
Normally once a dog if finished it'll never see the inside of a confo ring again... .
Not so.. If you want a top dog, like Westminster only takes the top 25 in each breed so they continue to show for placing purposes. Also additional wins are to show the quality of the dog for breeding purposes..
Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
<----Thanks Allie

what qualifies you as the top 25? and once you have CH do you still go into a ring with non-CH?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
and why would a co-ownership be expected?
Because most breeders will not give one of their dogs to a "newbie" without knowing them for a while or respecting them (BYBs/mills can be great liars in order to get Ch lines in their program). Once you build your name there are a select few who will sell their dogs no strings attached, but most want certain requirements met before they sign off. I would ask the breeder about this and make sure that everything is in writing and clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
Not so.. If you want a top dog, like Westminster only takes the top 25 in each breed so they continue to show for placing purposes. Also additional wins are to show the quality of the dog for breeding purposes..
BM, in the post you quoted I did say that normally a dog won't see the confo ring again unless being specialed. Entry to Westminster/Eukanuba doesn't hold much water for me FYI, seen a lot of crap "strut their stuff" there
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
what qualifies you as the top 25? and once you have CH do you still go into a ring with non-CH?
Its done by points or wins. like if your dog wins a National sweeps is over a smaller show. Its all placement. While its true once a champion points do not matter, they place the dogs by the number of wins. I know I am being simplictic in my explanation but that is why you hear when you watch westminster " number so in so" in the breed."..
As far as what you want- that is up to you. If you want a easy start go with a seasoned vetern. If you have a good mentor to show you how to show- start with a younger dog. Its totally up to you..
Once you have a CH the dog goes into the Best of Breed class.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
Because most breeders will not give one of their dogs to a "newbie" without knowing them for a while or respecting them (BYBs/mills can be great liars in order to get Ch lines in their program). Once you build your name there are a select few who will sell their dogs no strings attached, but most want certain requirements met before they sign off. I would ask the breeder about this and make sure that everything is in writing and clear.
yes ok that makes A LOT of sense! so if she doesn't want a co-ownership or something where she has to approve breedings, what does that mean? I know that would be bad, but should that put out the stop sign? she seems really nice, and she feeds raw and uses a holistic vet. She's also right on the Island, so it's kinda uber convienent.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
yes ok that makes A LOT of sense! so if she doesn't want a co-ownership or something where she has to approve breedings, what does that mean? I know that would be bad, but should that put out the stop sign? she seems really nice, and she feeds raw and uses a holistic vet. She's also right on the Island, so it's kinda uber convienent.
Just remember that showing is to determine " breeding stock" so to speak. Co-ownership is common place- just get a good contract- in writing if you co-own.
And moms- " specials" is just slang for a champion that competes in breed ring.. ( ie- taking breed over special means- dog out of lower class beat a champion to take the breed)...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You CAN enter your Ch in non-Ch classes, but that is highly looked down upon (you'll be the talk of the town and not in a good way) and handlers use it infrequently when building a major and they know they will most likely be the only one at the show. After your dog is finished, and you want to special, you go into the BOB class. The more dogs entered, the more points you rack up when you go BOB (take the other dogs entered and that's how much points you earn - "breed points").

Quote:
Someone who values their lines won't let it slip away like that so to speak from my experience. Most breeders who do this have a bunch of other red flags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
And moms- " specials" is just slang for a champion that competes in breed ring.. ( ie- taking breed over special means- dog out of lower class beat a champion to take the breed)...
I know what specialing/specials is/are
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Couch Pototoe City

But you said its " specialed" and the fact is- its a given.. A Special is a champion that is trying to beat other champions for rank.. Hardly dismissed as a casual thing.. ie beating the best of the best is the purpose. They may call it a " special" but the fact is- its a champion going into best of breed for Best to hopefully make best of group- ..
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
<----Thanks Allie

ok got it... so you become CH, you then make your way to top 25 of your breed in BOB shows, then you get into westminster, then you throw you're big french nose(if your me that is) up in the air and say "haha! I am the Best! I beat you!"