Question on cleaning the hair out of poodle pups ears

msbsgblue

:confused:I have a very tiny toy poodle, when I say tiny, she is 14 weeks and about 1 1/2 pounds.

The breeder had groomed her when we got her and she is no problem to clip. I have already clipped her again twice.

But those ears, oh my she had not cleaned the hair out of her ears and they were full. She did not like me just holding her ear up, but trying to even tough the inside, it took hubby and I to hold this tiny dog for me to get about 3/4 of the hair out. I need to get the rest out, but even if she is sleeping in my lap and I try to look in her ear she has a fit.

No ear infection, no mites, checked for all of that at the vets when we got her.

She just hates her ears touched inside.

What can I do to help this issue? Poodles MUST have that hair out of there.

msbsgblue

Yes

Yes, I know you can use your fingers but I have always found you get too hold of too much hair and it hurts.

You have to be able to get her to settle to this before you use anything. My she is a little package of dynamite when it comes to looking in there.

Pam111

Yes, I know you can use your fingers but I have always found you get too hold of too much hair and it hurts.

You have to be able to get her to settle to this before you use anything. My she is a little package of dynamite when it comes to looking in there.
Yeah, my Shih Tzu really doesn't like it either, but it helped to just do a few hairs at a time and then let her go, praising her and petting her the whole time. Eventually, you can do more at once. If you can't even start at that point (like, she's freaking out just touching the ear at all), work more slowly and touch her ear, giving her a treat and praising her. Do this until you can hold it for longer and touch inside more.

Or maybe it would work to distract her with some amazing treat that takes a few minutes to eat but she doesn't get at any other time.

bubbatd

Boy that's tiny !! I think I'd leave it up to a groomer !! Aren't the hairs there for a reason ???

Pam111

Boy that's tiny !! I think I'd leave it up to a groomer !! Aren't the hairs there for a reason ???
I was taught to pluck the ear hair out. If you don't, it gets a lot of build up in there.

It is something the groomer should do every time the dog is in, but I don't get my dog groomed as often as some do (actually, she's only been clipped twice) since I like her to grow long hair except in the summer and I clip her face myself

Giny

That's the downside of owing a non shedding dog, grammy. They have hair that growing in their ear canal and will continue growing cutting off air circulation.

Plucking the hair has been controversial though with some saying to remove and other saying to leave it be. Personally I find that if left there's a higher chance for ear infections.

msbsgblue

No

In tiny dogs with ears that long if you don't get the hair out they tend to get ear infections from not getting enough air in there.

That is a true fact.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
when i was training roofus, i would do just a few hairs at a time and MASSIVELY load on the treats as it was being done (need two people for this).

now he just sits there grinning like an idiot while i yank those stinky things out.

xpaeanx

now he just sits there grinning like an idiot while i yank those stinky things out.

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: the image I have is just too funny!

since she's still a puppy... and you got a lot out already, maybe you should start by playing with her ears and giving lots of treats... this way she won't think that everytime you touch her ears she's going to get hairs pulled...

Members online