Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kela View Post
This post makes me really uncomfortable. I guess I just don't understand how in today's day and age, DA can be considered acceptable, especially in a competition meant to judge the best of the best. I realize that the breed was bred to be that way originally, but it just seems like such a massive fault. I'd personally rather see dogs with underbites or other faults than ones with DA.
Because...it's what these dogs were bred for for over 200 years, so to breed that trait out of them would be like breeding herding out of collies, sniffing out of bassets...you get the point.
Also, the very trait that makes them DA, that drive, allows these dogs to excel in MANY sports.
And, also, sorry if it makes you uncomfortable. It's part of the breed, so I would suggest not owning an APBT if it makes you uncomfortable and then you won't have to make yourself comfortable with it.

And I guess you won't be an ADBA judge anytime soon.
And that's ok. To breed DA out of the APBT would be to change the breed entirely. And some people prefer their APBTs just the way they are.

At least the owners at the show were responsible with their dogs.
APBTs aren't a breed for everyone.
Obviously.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

At least they are SHOWING their dogs. In a way they are saying, "Hey, this breed has DA, it can be aggressive, BUT YOU CAN ALSO MANAGE THAT, and work with it."

Or, it can work against you. Your choice.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Top Dog

I like ADBA shows, but they do not seem to try to control their dog when there. Some of them want to show how ''hot'' their dog is, and judges except that and some count for it. However, I am quite sure if a non pit bull savvy person went there, they would have been put off by all the aggression.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
feel the magic

But you have to understand. The ADBA is an OLD registry, and it comes from the time of legal pit fighting. Not that they condone dog fighting now, they do NOT, but the fact that their dogs are dog aggressive around other dogs, is part of the old that is still acceptable to them.

No, the dogs pull and lunge, but when those judges walk up to check out the dog, you'd better BET those dogs are well behaved.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
feel the magic

Also, I know for a d@mn fact that if I, and WHEN I, bring Ella to a show to be shown for fun, she is going to act JUST AS dog aggressive as those dogs do.
And I train her and work with her. Except, Ella will probably try to do something those dogs didn't do: She will try to back out of her collar because she'll be that frantic.

What should make you uncomfortable, or ANYONE uncomfortable is if my dog, or any APBT, OR ANY DOG (for that matter) were lunging, pulling, and/or ATTACKING humans.
But none of the dogs at the show I was at, even so much as offered anything but tail wags, kisses, and bully smiles anytime a human so much as looked in their direction.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kela View Post
This post makes me really uncomfortable. I guess I just don't understand how in today's day and age, DA can be considered acceptable, especially in a competition meant to judge the best of the best. I realize that the breed was bred to be that way originally, but it just seems like such a massive fault. I'd personally rather see dogs with underbites or other faults than ones with DA.
I have not read the entire thread, but this post caught my eye.

I STRONGLY disagree with you. You cannot erase genetics. These dogs were created to kill other dogs. Its something that is ingraned in them. To breed them for dog aggression and then turn around and fault them for that is very wrong. Thats like faulting a border collie for its instinct to herd.

I do think that dog aggression should not be saught after. In other words, I dont think APBT breeders should intentionally breed for it, because dog fighting is outlawed. DA only creates a hasle for owners to deal with. This is why owners have to be dedicated to properly owning this breed. DA is now useless to this breed. These dogs are family dogs now, not fighting dogs.

But to fault a specimin of this breed for DA is very wrong. Its something that is appart of this breed and its never going to fully disapear. If owners do the right thing and are responsible, then what exactly is the problem?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I like divina! she's sooooo cute!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Puppy Dog

I suppose it is more based around the way they have been brought up, they will always have a fighting instinct the same with any dog. They get bad press you dont hear about the good only the bad the same with all dogs no matter what breed
Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 PM
feel the magic

I do want to point out that they had weight pull AND obedience there.
I got a few obedience and bitework shots, but we all didn't agree with the way the guy was doing bitework with the dog.
The weight pull, well, I wasn't supposed to be out of my vending hut, but I snuck away. It was quite dark in there, and I have yet to get a flash for my camera.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

I've looked at these pictures like fifteen times now.
Love 'em.