Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

Default Black golden retrievers?

Someone on another forum just got a litter of supposedly registered golden retrievers... and half of them are black. They say it happens. I've never heard of it, is it true, or did he do something wrong to get black ones? They are adorable though...
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
stirder

grammy??? bubbatd used to breed goldens, she would know better than anyone...but I would imagine a flat coated retriever had something to do with it.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

I've never heard of any purebred goldens having a litter containing some black puppies. Me thinks a black lab hopped over the fence? You know, you CAN have two males mate and both "take" and you get a mixed litter of puppies. I did hear quite awhile ago that someone was trying to start a new, recognized breed of "black" golden retrievers, though. Don't remember what they were crossing with to try and achieve it... Newfoundlands, I think (which are part of a golden's heritage). But I don't think a mixed litter of supposedly two purebred goldens can happen unless there are two daddies
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 AM
stirder

I heard of that 2, the folks trying to make black goldens. their were 2 groups at the same time that I heard of...one crossed newfounlands with goldens and then tried crossing back to goldens, dont know if it worked. the other tried flat coated retrievers with goldens and thought they would achieve the goal faster, since fcr's are closer in size, shape, and energy level. that was a few years ago and I havnt heard any more about them so I assume they gave up???
when we too rory for her vet ceck on monday she told us about a lady whos cat had a litter a month ago or so. there were 9 kittens, guess how many dads/sires??? 9. they looked different enough from each other and their mom that the owner had a dna test done. since dna cant tell breed, they dont know who the dads all are but the test did prove each one had a different father.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Wow! NINE daddies for that cat litter!? She was a little HO, huh??? LOLOL... just skiddin'...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Yeah I thought it was weird too... I didn't want to start arguing with the person though lol.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

I don't believe two gold/red goldens can have black puppies....thats just genetically impossible....I think With pugs, two fawns NEVER make a black.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM
stirder

yeah, color is genetic and each color is a different gene. two black and tan gsd's, or two black gsd's cant produce a sable gsd. two blacks dont produce a white gsd. two sables produce sables. a black dog of some breed slipped into the woodpile somewhere. though a black golden would be pretty, it would pretty much look like a flat coated retriever.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

It can happen. Remember our Purebred dogs are not that old...they have only been around since the latter part of the 19th century. The Golden Retriever was created from a black water type dog and there was one Golden pup I believe named Nous...he was used as the foundation of the current Golden Retriever.
Most of our breeds have recessive genes for odd colors frowned apon by the kennel clubs. It doesnt mean they can't happen and they certainly do happen often. Back about 20 years ago so called "reputable" breeders would detroy off colored or undesired colored pups so their kennel name wouldn't have a black mark against it. I also have a friend who breeds BullMastiff's, she has been breeding for years top show quality dogs. She recently had a long coated BullMastiff pup...it was given to a pet home and her kennel name was not attached to it as per an agreement between the new owner and breeder. I have also met a Blue Merle Rottweiler, this was a recessive gene that sprung up in this line years down the lineage.
When you consider that Purebreds are not that old and they are the result of extensive line breeding and in breeding and cull the off colored pups or undesired it is no wonder that off colored pups can and do spring up. They can go back to the dogs used orginally to create them.

Last edited by Athe; 07-28-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

EliN was right on. I bred to a female once ( not mine ) and she had mixed.. some black, some golden. He finally admitted to me that his neighbor had a black lab !! And yes... they did try to cross goldens with Newfies and they were beautiful !! This was quite a while ago and I haven't heard anything more about them.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/