Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM
My house is a zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
honestly, at her age, some puppies still just can't "hold it".

What I would do is set up an expen, and make her a "potty area" of newspapers. You can get a cheap plastic tarp at Wally World or such to put under the pen, and then cover it completely inside with several layers of papers. Gradually make the paper area smaller.

You can put the crate inside the pen if you like, or not.

Then you can stop stressing about it, because the pup will surely feel this.

Make sure you are food rewarding all outdoor elimination, and making it an IMPORTANT FUN EVENT every time she goes. She is still very young for a large breed like a Newfie. Some puppies mature more slowly than others, so just brain storm a little and decide what will work to make both of you happy for the short term. She will grow up and stop all this quick enough, you'll see.

Agreed. Buddy and Emmy are roughly 4 months old now and are just now starting to have some success with housetraining. But their situation was different, they were locked in crates 24/7 and were used to peeing and pooping on themselves. With them, at first, the crates just didn't work. I kept them on a leash, attached to me or attached close to me.

Now, they're getting much better and can be in the crates without having an accident. It's just taken them a little extra time, but that's ok!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
honestly, at her age, some puppies still just can't "hold it".
But she peed and pooped in the crate only an hour after she had pottied outside.... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect her to hold it for an hour in her crate.

Many puppies, unfortunately, are "taught" to mess in their crates and sleep in the mess - particularly puppies from BYBs, puppy mills, pet stores, and even shelters if they'd been there for a while. It's my understanding that this puppy did not come from any of those situations, right? Did the breeder do ANY crate training before you got her? Has this been a problem ever since you got her a few weeks ago, or has it just started?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

We've been crate training her since the day she came home, and the problem with pooping/peeing in the crate is a couple days recent. She came from a great breeder(she had a great, clean facility) but she was only ever in a crate for car rides to the vet. So I got to start all over with her.

RR you always have good advice for me I don't expect her to hold it for ever, I never go more than an hour before taking her out- I always watch her body language to know when she's needing to relieve herself. I try puppy pads, but she drags it around and tries to eat it (sigh). I will try news papers. I do think she's just maturing slowly.

I'm going to take her back to the vet and see what's up with her. Maybe she does have something that's causing this since it's a new thing.

I mean, it's not a problem that she can't hold it forever, but I thought it was 'instinct' not to pee/poop where they lay.. I hope I find the answer soon. I'll make a vet appt. tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

a lot of puppies will play first afraid that if they relieves themselves right away play time will end. THen the owner figures out they are just goofing around and brings them in and now it is too late to go. Kind of sounds like the case here.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
a lot of puppies will play first afraid that if they relieves themselves right away play time will end. THen the owner figures out they are just goofing around and brings them in and now it is too late to go. Kind of sounds like the case here.
Whenever we take her out she usually pee's right away. The times she doesn't(which is rarely) she plays for about 15 minutes and if she still doesn't pee I bring her inside and wait about 10 minutes and bring her back out again, which is usually when she pee's. So I don't think that's really the case. Again, I don't crate her a lot, so when I do I'm always sure she goes before hand.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Puppy Dog

I think there are two separate concepts for puppies to "get" during house training. "Going outside", and "holding it". And certainly the second part requires more physical and mental maturity. Like others said, chances are she's just a late developer. Look at it this way, at least you have half of it down.