Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Active Pup

Angry Ah Oh We have a problem, help!

O.K. some of you say my tiny toy poodle on the introduction page.

Well, Sassy actually housebroke in about 3 days after I ask the question about that. We just took her out and on about day 3 she just "gets it."

PROBLEM 1:

She won't speak to tell us, she will walk to the door and if you don't see that, she comes to you and sits down and looks at you. If you ask "Do you want me to pick you up?" and that is not what she needs she backs away from us. But, if she needs to potty outside she jumps up on our leg when ask. THAT IS GOOD! But, how do we get her to tell us? I mean if we should not be looking or sitting as our desks I don't know what she would do. Don't suggest a bell she would be ringing in constantly.

PROBLEM 2:

Now she is realizing that going outside is also fun. So as you can imagine the "need to go out" is coming too frequently. Sometimes she goes potty, sometimes even on leash she just wants to run and act silly in play.

Obviously, with winter nearing, we don't want to be making false runs outside.

IF SHE DOESN'T GO SHE IS PUT IN HER CRATE. Problem there is she likes her crate too, so to her that does not seem like punishment, even thought I tell her "You didn't go potty."

How do I stop her from telling me she wants out when she really just wants to go play? Since she is so very tiny she eats at will and so you can't time her.

I hope someone has some ideas, we have made about 10 un-necessary trips out already today.

By the way I pretty much stick close to this post someone else posted if you want to know what I am doing. One of us is with her constantly unless she is sleeping.

Here is the post: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...1&postcount=35
Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
My house is a zoo

With my puppies, I have a specific spot in the yard that is ONLY for potty trips. I take them out, on leash, and if they want to run around and play I just stand there and ignore them. Since it's a short leash, they give up fairly quickly. When they go potty, I praise them tons and then take them to another area of the yard where they're allowed to play. They don't get play time during every walk, some walks they just have to potty and come back inside (where they play anyway).
Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Active Pup

Default That is about what we do

That is pretty much what we do, but she is telling us way way to often that she wants out.

Except I don't give her another place in the yard to play, play time is inside only. She is way to tiny, 1 1/2 pounds at 14 weeks. We have peditors here in the country. A hawk, we have plenty or owl could swoop her up. Most of the hawks around here are not afraid of people. They could swoop with her on the leash and hurt her. I have watched them sit in the tree above me many times.

I want her pottied and back inside.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Her crate should never be used as punishment. They should love thier crates

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Active Pup

Default That is not exactly what I meant

If you crate train and they don't potty they are to be put back in their crate. I have a friend who is a proffessional trainer back home that taught me how to train. She trained for seeing eye dogs and the handicapped.

So I did not mean it to sound as thought that was punishment.

We leave her out on the floor a great deal since she will not go in the house, but the constant telling us she wants out when she doesn't need to go is hard on 2 people who are both disabled and I want to figure out how to stop that before winter sets in.

Please read all my posts above before giving me a reply.

I do want to say that this puppy gets lots of lots of praise.

Last edited by msbsgblue; 08-30-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

How old is this pup? It is completely unreasonable to expect them to be housetrained quickly and at a young age.
Also what kind of activities do you do with her inside? What kind of mind stimulating games?

I would stop feeding her free choice, she should regular meals at set times.
Then take her out. If at that time she doesn't 'go', then she goes back into her crate but not for punishment but to keep her supervised until you take her out again 15-20 mins later.

Also keep a record book of when she eats and when she needs to go out.
That alone will stop the need to keep going out too many times in a day.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

She is 14 weeks old (post #3).

I agree that it's ok to put her back in her crate if she doesn't potty outside, but do not scold her or act at all like you're mad at her while you're putting her in the crate. She has no idea what "you didn't go potty" means, and if it comes across to her like you're mad, it would make the crate look like punishment. As adojrts said, the crate is just for supervision (you KNOW she's not going to potty in the crate, right?), and maybe for a time-out (she doesn't get to play unless she potties), that's all.

I'd suggest first, feed her on a schedule. You can offer her food 4 or 5 times a day, if you want (at least three times a day, for this age), and if she doesn't eat within about 15 minutes, she's not hungry, so pick up the food bowl and don't feed her again until the next meal time. I'd suggest doing the same thing with the water bowl - offer her water at meals, and maybe a few more times during the day, and if she doesn't drink, pick up the water bowl. If you get eating and drinking on a schedule, it will be fairly easy to get pottying on a schedule too. You can keep a log of what time she eats and drinks, and what time she potties, so that you can start to see a pattern and learn when to expect her to have to go potty.

Once she's on a schedule, and you have a good idea of when she has to potty, you should also have a good idea of when she is making "false alarms." If you know she doesn't need to go, and she goes to the door and comes back and looks at you like she does, don't ask her if she needs to go potty. You can pick her up and put her on your lap, or play a game with her, or whatever, to give her something to take her mind off going outside. When you know she needs to go, though, and you want to go ahead and take her out, ask her then if she needs to go outside, and take her out. That way, the only time she has the opportunity to tell you "Yes! I need to go out!" is when she actually DOES need to go out, and probably eventually she'll get the hang of it.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

I never crate trained , but am wondering if she has enough play time indoors with you ?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

If she's 14 weeks old and reliable inside, just thank your lucky stars. The time you spend taking her outdoors could be spent in cleaning up puddles. When cold weather sets in it's likely she won't ask to be out as much anyway.

My dog was also a "starer." As time goes by it will get easier for you to tell what different stares mean.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Active Pup

Default O.K. here you go, my reply

First of all at 1 1/2 pounds a tiny toy poodle will eat one or two bites of dry food at a time, they are nibblers, I have had more then one in my lifetime. I guess you would really consider her a tea cup poodle. You have to let them free feed since you obviously cannot force feed them. She gets premium canned food too early morning about 6:30 when she gets up along with dry. She gets this again about 6:30 at night. But tiny dogs like this like to nibble as they get a bit hungry during the day.

Now I am far from stupid about dogs since for years when I was younger I raised the tiny Yorkshire Terriers for the show ring. Most dogs this tiny are nibblers with their food.

NO, SHE IS NEVER SCOLDED. Basically she is almost whispered to in a very soft voice as I did poodles before her which in turn got a lot out of my dogs as far as them wanting to please me.

No, she has never pottied in her crate. In fact, she is the first pup I have ever had that sleeps 8-10 hours through the night at 11 weeks when we got her and didn't need to go out 2-3 times. She sleeps all night, has since we got her.

PLAY, oh yes she gets plenty on one to one time with either me or hubby. We spend a lot of time in the floor with her playing ball, yes she already fetches, and other things that she enjoys. She has lots of toys and chew things.

It would be impossible to write down each time she chooses to take a bite.

She is reliable at 14 weeks as far as telling us, no accidents, the problem is that still she "stories to us" so that she can go outside to play. So, we are making way too many unnecessary trips outside.

We tried the short leash suggestion but there are lots of things here in the country to distract, butterflies, cottonwood flying in the air, sounds.

She just wants to go out to play about 1/2 the time. The other half she really needs to potty.

I don't know how to distinquish one from the other, the signals she gives are the same.