Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

My mentor took my Bushwacker for a week to shows when a pup ! I missed him too much ! Besides , I wanted him to have a family life with the kids in the woods and creek ....not caged to keep a coat .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
My mentor took my Bushwacker for a week to shows when a pup ! I missed him too much ! Besides , I wanted him to have a family life with the kids in the woods and creek ....not caged to keep a coat .
I would like to point out. I know an amazing golden breeder near here. All dogs super out going and friendly all finnish quickly in the conf ring (no needing a handler to finnish.. and goldens are competative!) All health tested etc etc.

She lives in the country and the dogs all live normally. None are caged to keep a 'good show coat'. They run in the woods and sleep in the house.

Not all conformation dogs live secluded lives. Many live normal day to day lives just like any other beloved pet.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I know of breeders (who are considered good breeders) who send their dogs off with a handler for MONTHS at a time. Something I never understood and couldn't do myself. This, I would assume, is because they don't have the time to travel/be with the dog during all the shows, but they get that all important title before breeding the dog. Does that make them a better candidate to breed and socialize puppies? I have to wonder...........
Beau was gone for months actually. Well, 6 weeks but close enough. Just because they go out with handlers doesn't make them any less loved/well cared for. I missed him of course and was so happy to have him back.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Just try me..

IMO its not that you don't love them (sending them off to handlers) its that often that is what it takes to get them finnished. Not everyone has the time to devote their life to showing their dogs. (including breeders, we all know breeders should NOT be making lots of money breeding, so they have to hold down jobs etc etc)
Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Would love to know which she is !! Yes , many can do it ........ I couldn't .Obedience was one thing we did , but not the show ring .

Old 09-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Just try me..

AON golden Retrievers I think. Her website doesn't work. (lol like she needs one) As she is local I have had a few of her pups in to classes with me. They are great dogs (not for me but really the idea family pet. Active enough to be fun but not more than the people are willing to do, love everyone and look gorgeous too.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Thanks anyway !

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Beau was gone for months actually. Well, 6 weeks but close enough. Just because they go out with handlers doesn't make them any less loved/well cared for. I missed him of course and was so happy to have him back.
I was not suggesting that these dogs aren't loved. It's not something I could do, but I try not to assume what/why other people do. I was referring to Elegy's post to the effect of "if they don't have time to DO something with their dogs, how are they going to have time to breed/socialize pups"

That was the point of my post..........people who "send their dog out" to earn the titles, for time constraints and/or scheduling issues, do they really have the time to breed/socialize their pups then?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

As I always say - a dog is a dog is a dog, regardless of breed[s]. As long as it's bred well, health tested, etc., why not? I'd be okay with breeding two total mutts if they were in at least one sport and health/temperament tested, y'know?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'd say better than your average doodler if the results on the health tests are real, but still... TWO litters in June, both large one?s How the HELL are those puppies getting all they need? TWO studs who are UNDER two years of age? All but two of their bitches under 2 years of age, and the two that are bred are a year and a half?

Meh. Somewhere I would run like hell from. If they're breeding their dogs while they're puppies themselves, what else are they skimping on?

My impression too. It's one thing to stud out more than once or twice a year, but to breed two of YOUR FEMALES. . .and at the same time no less. Meh, I don't think highly of that.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l