Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Angel Chicken

Default Labradoodles

I'm not condoneing breeding doodles, so please don't take this as the wrong thing.

I just came across this website, what do you guys think of this breeder? And No, I'm not considering another dog

Tuscan Ridge Labradoodles
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

They seem to be cranking them out !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm All Ears

To me they seem decent enough... I wish they did more with their dogs, though. I saw a few CGCs but those aren't too hard to get. I'd also like a bit more information on their breeding goals. Why cross this dog with this one? What's the plan here for the pups? Good application, though, with no paypal options or anything. Contract seemed normal as far as I could tell (skimmed). They take back their pups. Lots of health clearances.

Then again, I have no real problem with the labradoodles being bred.

ETA: And the deal with two litters close together- I'd want to know if that's a common thing or if it just happened. Some breeders just so happen to not breed often but when they do, they have more than one litter at the same time.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Bored Now.

I'd say better than your average doodler if the results on the health tests are real, but still... TWO litters in June, both large one?s How the HELL are those puppies getting all they need? TWO studs who are UNDER two years of age? All but two of their bitches under 2 years of age, and the two that are bred are a year and a half?

Meh. Somewhere I would run like hell from. If they're breeding their dogs while they're puppies themselves, what else are they skimping on?

Quote:
What is a Labradoodle?
A Labradoodle is a hybrid between the commonly known Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. We are able to get a multitude of sizes, coats and colors through multi-generational breeding.
Honestly, what that says to me is "we haven't established breed type yet, and we don't intend to - but boy are the puppies cute!"

They have a very nice site, though, and appear to have paid for professional photography (or perhaps one of them is a good hobby photographer) but that doesn't say or mean much, except that the site is pretty. In all the pictures the dogs look like they are indoors on in a yard (not a run) and well-groomed and happy.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Just try me..

I know many (many many) CKC/AKC breeders who produce top ch dogs who breed at a year In many circles this is considered 'normal'. Now while I don't condone it esp for females it is not a deal breaker to me. And in this case it might be hard to find health tested nice males. Better a young health tested one than an older untested one.

I do like that the state that the different coat types will shed, some even 'heavily'. I like the fact that they do lots of health testing. Yes I wish they did more with their dogs, but at LEAST they are doing CGCs

I am ok with a 'type' of dog. But then again I breed JRTs which in many cases is more a 'type' than a breed. When I read that same paragraph as Nolu posted I got from it something different. I got that she was trying not to step on other people's toes but is still trying to be honest about what is going on.

The things I like the most are- Mulit generation doodles (that is a BIGGIE for me, if you are trying to make a new breed it MUST eventually breed fairly true) The dogs all look happy and live in the house. I like the health testing and that they have a contract. I do like they take the effort to CGC them (its not like they can show conformation)

Things I am meh about-the many litters. It could be that they have that high a demand. If people want nice doodles at least lets have them buying ones with health tests, stable temperaments, and breeder support. Or it could be that they tend to churn them out.

Things I don't like-the NAME they really need to come up with a new name... labradoodles? seriously people. Call them an Australian retriever or something.

Over all its nice to see someone making a stab at breeding doodles responsibly. Heck the public is going to buy them anyway.... lets at least give them some decent options.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I noticed in the pictures that one litter with the Lab . To me 1st generation Labradoodles are mutts .

Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Just try me..

thats great bubbatd.. but then all dogs were mutts once

Silken Windhounds started out as 'mutts' but are now a closed breed with a registry etc etc.

To me starting out as a mutt (JRTs started out as mutts and so did goldens) is just fine...its where you go from there that matters.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Agree....but it takes many generations .

Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Twin 2.0

*shrug* Not the best, not the worst. It appears they're at least trying to do the best they can; at least they're health testing. I would at least talk to them in person to find out more, if that means anything.

EDIT: Though I take them less seriously after seeing the dressed up puppy pictures...and what is with "guardian homes"?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I know many (many many) CKC/AKC breeders who produce top ch dogs who breed at a year In many circles this is considered 'normal'. Now while I don't condone it esp for females it is not a deal breaker to me. And in this case it might be hard to find health tested nice males. Better a young health tested one than an older untested one.
I see what you're saying.. but they are breeding puppies. They're babies. To me that is so wrong. Middie kept developing until he was 2. For me, I wish they would wait.

Quote:
I do like that the state that the different coat types will shed, some even 'heavily'. I like the fact that they do lots of health testing. Yes I wish they did more with their dogs, but at LEAST they are doing CGCs

I am ok with a 'type' of dog. But then again I breed JRTs which in many cases is more a 'type' than a breed. When I read that same paragraph as Nolu posted I got from it something different. I got that she was trying not to step on other people's toes but is still trying to be honest about what is going on.
But if the dogs are breeding true.. why on earth is there such a variation in size and coat type? 10" dogs and then dogs twice that, and puppies with all different coat types? Maybe I'm expecting too much - I don't know how many generations in they are or what their original stock is from, but I kind of think that if you are selling dogs as a member of a breed they ought to have breed characteristics.

Quote:
Over all its nice to see someone making a stab at breeding doodles responsibly. Heck the public is going to buy them anyway.... lets at least give them some decent options.
I totally agree.