Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Update on everything:

I guess there was a bone near were Emma was sleeping. That could have caused it. Also When Jaz is in her crate (all crates are in the living room) if Emma gets close Jazz is growling even from her crate. Sigh

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Well, the bone near Emma is a good thing, really..... She wasn't completely unprovoked.

Many dogs growl at other dogs when they're in their crates, even dogs who otherwise wouldn't be aggressive. Not a great behavior, of course, but certainly workable.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Well, the bone near Emma is a good thing, really..... She wasn't completely unprovoked.
As if to say if she was provoked, it would be okay?

And to grab a sleeping dog by the head and then proceed to shake because she is simply laying next to, or around, a bone? I find that a bit scary.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
RedyreRottweilers

first, SEPARATE THESE BITCHES NOW.

So far you have not had a serious injury, but IMO it is not far away if you do not separate NOW.

My experience with working breeds indicates that spaying CAN help in some situations. My 2 older girls, who now get along very well, did NOT before they were both spayed. Now they co exist very well together. They are also quite a bit older than when they had their altercation. However, with these 2 I never did see any of the growling, up on tippy toe, hard eye contact, etc. There were 2 incidents where the younger girl ripped the older gal's ear. I kept them separated for some time, then once both had been spayed they were pretty easy to get together again.

The growling/threatening from inside the crate is not good news. My 2 girls who hate each other now do this. They SERIOUSLY hate each other, after living harmoniously for almost 4 years together. It is possible as Penny ages, and once she is spayed, that this might dissipate. Time will tell.

However, I will tell you again: Until you get some control on this, your beagle's life is in danger. Your Dobe bitch is capable of killing her in the blink of an eye.

Be smart, and be careful.

I think I advised you to do this earlier, but if you have not already done so, GET PEPPER SPRAY. Keep it in a very handy location, and teach everyone in the house how to use it.

If there is ever a real fight, you will not stop it with your voice. But you CAN stop it with pepper spray, and it might save Emma's life. Don't wait. Separate these dogs, and get pepper spray.

I will also say that this behavior I do not find atypical of a strong temperament working bitch who is becoming an adult. This alone would not prevent me from breeding a bitch.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Emma is in the vets regularly for full blood work as she isnt verry stable with her Addisions.
I would also be looking closer at Emma - I've seen some dogs (in other households, so no personal experience here) that would attack a weaker/sicker/elderly dogs unprovoked; somehow a "survival of the fittest" if you will. Maybe Emma is having the beginnings of an Addisonian crisis and Jazz senses the weakness? Wouldn't hurt to check her levels if she hasn't been in recently.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Show Dog

Attacking a sleeping dog unprovoked? wow. Just wow.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
[I will also say that this behavior I do not find atypical of a strong temperament working bitch who is becoming an adult. This alone would not prevent me from breeding a bitch.
I don't get this. Why would you encourage breeding a dog that attacks others unprovoked? I have met bitches that only tolerate other bitches and dogs that only just tolerate other dogs, but a dog that flat out wants attack a dog that it has been raised with? sorry...I don't care how many ribbons a dog has won...a dog that attacks others in that way has a few screws loose upstairs. Scary.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I would never encourage the breeding of this particular bitch, nor any other.

One who would state that a dog aggressive Doberman bitch should not be bred simply because of the DA is displaying their ignorance of the innate temperament of the breed.

In working breeds, MANY if not MOST adult dogs do not tolerate other adults of the same sex. Often these dominant behaviors towards other dogs begin to surface at around 2 years of age, at maturity.

MANY Dobes or Rottweilers simply wake up one day and decide they hate a particular dog. I have 2 bitches who would kill each other. They both get along with the other bitch who is in the household.

There is a good reason why it is so often stated that one should get an opposite sex dog if you want 2 dogs, ESPECIALLY in certain breeds.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Kotah BEAR

I agree with everything Redyre said.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
I would never encourage the breeding of this particular bitch, nor any other.

One who would state that a dog aggressive Doberman bitch should not be bred simply because of the DA is displaying their ignorance of the innate temperament of the breed.

In working breeds, MANY if not MOST adult dogs do not tolerate other adults of the same sex. Often these dominant behaviors towards other dogs begin to surface at around 2 years of age, at maturity.

MANY Dobes or Rottweilers simply wake up one day and decide they hate a particular dog. I have 2 bitches who would kill each other. They both get along with the other bitch who is in the household.

There is a good reason why it is so often stated that one should get an opposite sex dog if you want 2 dogs, ESPECIALLY in certain breeds.
Exactly! While this is very sad and just an awful thing for Jenn to have to go through, it is really not the big surprise that most seem to think.

Jenn also knows that no matter how large the area Emma and Jazz are no longer realiable at all together. Practice makes perfect and with each negative experience, things will escalate. Emma's life is absolutely at risk and Jenn is very clear about that.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/