Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
That is true. BUT I had one case (with one of my own dogs) where same sex aggression was HUGELY reduced by spaying. But it had come down to try a spay or PTS. So don't hesitate to try it as a last resort of things get worse.

(oh and this dog was always fantastic with all humans even babies...but she never bothered a sleeping dog)
I've seen that too Dekka, but it's so uncommon where as an increase in aggression with the decrease in estrogen resulting from a spay is more common.

I guess that my point was that I'd hate to see Jenn go ahead and spay her show dog in hopes of something that's statistically not in her best interest.

I would absolutely try anything before euthanasia, just as you did.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Yes I am conisdering a spay as a last resort. Besides IF she was ever bred its not untill late next summer. That gives us time to see what we can come up with as far as why this is happening.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

I never had " fixed " dogs and all got along fine . I can truthfully say that none of my dogs ever fought amongst themselves ... males , females or opposite sex . I'm sure this is true with many breeds . Makes me wonder why . Also when they were fixed or neutered due to possible health issue and aging ... I say no difference in their personalities . Interesting to look into .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I never had " fixed " dogs and all got along fine . I can truthfully say that none of my dogs ever fought amongst themselves ... males , females or opposite sex . I'm sure this is true with many breeds . Makes me wonder why . Also when they were fixed or neutered due to possible health issue and aging ... I say no difference in their personalities . Interesting to look into .
Umm thats cause they were golden retrievers. They are not known for any aggression that I know of (and I am not a breeder) Whippets also live together unfixed just fine. But they too are not a DR breed.

JRTs and Dobes are not goldens-no matter how well bred (well possibly badly bred ones might come closest) will they be like goldens. That is why you will have had different experiences. They are very different breeds.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I really feel sorry for you !!! I knew a lovely lady who showed Dobes and she loved her 4 dearly . Two males and two females . She had to keep them in 3 areas and would rotate whom could be with whom . Unfortunately a gate broke and she was in the middle of 4 .... results were mega vet bills and her in the hospital . How is Jazz with children ??
Umm...off topic, much?

Dog aggression DOES NOT, in any way, equate with human/child aggression.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

I quietly bow out .................

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 AM
and Fozzie B!

Ugh... that really blows. I'm sorry you're going through this with Jazz. =(

If all of this is just now arising, it doesn't sound great, but it could be a lot worse. Did she actually hurt Emma? I mean, that doesn't excuse it, but a (although pretty intense) display is way different than a full-on attack that means to harm. Fozzie became noticeable more grouchy with other dogs, including Gonzo and his dog friends, when he hit 2 years old. Before that, he seriously never growled at another dog. He went through a too-big-for-his-britches stage and that has definitely been decreased, with a little bit of classical conditioning and desensitizing.

For now, I would supervise ACTIVELY, like be right there in between them... and give Jazz lots of positive reinforcement and goodies when ever she's around Emma and both are calm. Emma's presence should be a great thing, not something to cause concern. That might not do much if she is truly same-sex DA, but it couldn't hurt.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Top Dog

We had that problem when our dachshund Hannah was dying. (The last year of her life). Charlotte was about 5-6 months old at the time and she CONSTANTLY was picking on poor Hannah and beating her up, and starting fights. We had to keep Charlotte completely away from her.

Now Charlotte picks on poor little Lucy. She pretty much raised Jannah and Reese since they were puppies (They learned to respect her as alpha) but Lucy came into our home as a full grown adult. it used to be really bad, but now they sleep in the same bed just fine!I had to train my mom actually...She had gotten in the habit of picking Charlotte up when she growled, which made Charlotte actually lash out on Lucy. But I told her to IGNORE Charlotte when she growls..because picking her up is praising her for growling. Fights haven't completely stopped, but now it only happens if the dogs are overly excited about something. Or if food is involved.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Crazy Dog!

Get Jazz's thyroid checked. Checking Emma's wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I have been through this same thing. Good luck to you. Bitch fights are very hard to deal with.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Top Dog

Same sex agression can be a pain, but like others said, Jazz was not provoked in any way. People can miss signs and sometimes cant read their dogs, but nothing could have been missed, if the dog was sleeping.

I dont feel spaying will help. Jazz is already at the point of maturity. Things may never be able to go back to how they were, but thats what comes along with showing and breeding. 9 times out of 10 same sex dogs (with breeds like ours) will reach a point where they will never be able to be around each other. Rotation is key.

I'll take two males over two females anyday. AS the saying goes "Males fight to breed, b*tches fight to breath".