Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM
BusterLove

Harry's issues with Mac started aroudn the 2 year mark aswell. They aren't ever allowed together now ut its not like ,y sister or mother could be bothered actually getting professional help so we just rotate between the backyard and the house.
Harry and Buster arn't 100% back to being friends yet but they seem to sneak closer to one another and like to sleep near each other now.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Lord Cynical

This definitely sucks. But sadly, I'm not surprised.

Same-sex DA is a breed thing, and though more common in males, it's seen in bitches too. And from what I've seen and heard, bitch-bitch DA is 10x worse than dog-dog.

Ilsa's auntie Mercedes is extremely same-sex DA. Ilsa is fine around other bitches, as long as they submit to her and dont' spend an extended amount of time in the same house - she was fine with Sunny and Rumor for long amounts of time, but it only took three weeks for her and Besame (Ronin's mom) to try to kill each other. And sadly, after that one incident they could never be trusted around each other again.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
:( only one :(

Oh boy, I've heard horrible stories about female to female aggression, I've heard it's a lot worse then male to male aggression. And also I've heard it has nothing to do with the the fact of the females being intact or not so spaying wouldn't help and can often escalate to the death of one dog.

Sorry that you're going through this, I can't imagine how stressful this is for you. It's always been a fear of mine. Hope that all can be resolved.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Squishy22

Hmmm, there has to be some kind of trigger as to why she went after emma. Maybe something you missed? Was emma with a toy or had something that Jazz might consider HERS? Something seems missing to me. I just dont understand why a dog would snap for no reason at all, just out of the blue. When push comes to shove in my house, its usually over SOMETHING. Like a toy, a place on the couch, a bone, and over reacting to people at the door that creates fights. Maybe emma was giving silent signals to Jazz like a stare down? Is there a power struggle, or does emma willingly take her lower pecking order status?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I really feel sorry for you !!! I knew a lovely lady who showed Dobes and she loved her 4 dearly . Two males and two females . She had to keep them in 3 areas and would rotate whom could be with whom . Unfortunately a gate broke and she was in the middle of 4 .... results were mega vet bills and her in the hospital . How is Jazz with children ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Jazz has been abover about a year now. The first few times it was while one of them was on a chair or the bed. Hence the no dogs on furnature rule now.

Emma was sleeping on the floor across the room from Jazz the last time when she got atacked.

Emma is verry submisive and doesnt mind letting any dog be above her

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Jazz is amazing with Kids. They can do anything to her. There has been no change in her attitude towards adults or kids.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM

I suck at multiple post but someone mentioned that Jazz should be spayed or at least not bred. This is not a reason not to breed Jazz.
Spaying, as someone else mentioned can actually make this worse. There are no studies showing that spaying will improve BA but several pointing to the reduction in estrogen increasing aggression.

Jenn - Sent you a PM, need more location details.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Just try me..

I have a breed where same sex DA is considered normal. To the point that breeders WILL NOT SELL same sex pups to less than pro homes. Blood and mayhem is somewhat common. I would not NOT breed a bitch due to same sex aggression.

I would NOT breed a dog that attacks sleeping dogs. PERIOD. I don't care how great they are with kids. This is not normal same sex aggression, this is something weirder and IMO much more serious.

Think of it this way. Lets say you do breed her and one of her pups goes on to live with a smallish dog. That dog does the same thing out of the blue but kills the other dog. Is that ok with you?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
I suck at multiple post but someone mentioned that Jazz should be spayed or at least not bred. This is not a reason not to breed Jazz.
Spaying, as someone else mentioned can actually make this worse. There are no studies showing that spaying will improve BA but several pointing to the reduction in estrogen increasing aggression.

Jenn - Sent you a PM, need more location details.
That is true. BUT I had one case (with one of my own dogs) where same sex aggression was HUGELY reduced by spaying. But it had come down to try a spay or PTS. So don't hesitate to try it as a last resort of things get worse.

(oh and this dog was always fantastic with all humans even babies...but she never bothered a sleeping dog)