Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Top Dog

I've never had a bad counter surfer, so I've never tried it, but at Petsmart we learned to suggest this--

When you're right there use the typical AH-AH! or whatever correction you need to use. When you step out of the room for just a moment, whenever you do, set a booby trap. Line the counter with cookie sheets, edges hanging off of the counter just a bit. Then put empty pop cans on the other end of the cookie sheet so it makes a huge racket when they do jump up and knock it down. After the booby trap has been set off, go back in the room. Repeat every once in a while, only in controlled situations (don't leave her alone with the booby trap for a long while, because then she'll just go back up after it's gone and learn it's not always bad.).

I suggested this to one of my previous foster's new mom when she asked me about counter surfing. She said it worked great. I've never tried this, though, and it wouldn't help with a dog that just stole things off of low tables instead of jumped on the counters.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
swimming upstream

Emma is a beagle, right? Best bet is to remove the food--I know it's a challenge. But if Eric is upset by this, he needs to get on board with helping to change it. After all, this is minor compared to what he will need to help with once the baby is here---you will really be working then!

I agree that the 'leave it" command needs to be strong--for the food issue as well as many others. I have a beagle mix, and a lab--both very food motivated. They both have learned to go sit in a different room while we have dinner--and then they can have a treat when we are done. This works outside too if we are having a picnic outside.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Thanks for the sugestions. She has a great leave it command. Sometimes when I leave a room I forget to use it though.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show