Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Let's hear what you call a "lesson". Better yet, come on over. I have some dogs you can practice that on.
hahaha...I have to say, I am a fan of this response.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanama View Post
Why not give your puppy a lesson when he bites something? Next time he should remember it.
I do. He bites a ball or a tug and he remembers how much fun it is.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Big Dog

Default Nice articles

Thnks for the link
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Active Pup

I don't think you should stop your puppy from biting. They're at the stage of "teething" just like in babies. All you have to do is to provide the appropriate stuff for them to chew on. You don't actually stop it, you just make them do it on the right stuff.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbalumba View Post
I don't think you should stop your puppy from biting. They're at the stage of "teething" just like in babies. All you have to do is to provide the appropriate stuff for them to chew on. You don't actually stop it, you just make them do it on the right stuff.
Did you bother to read the first post? It's on teaching bite inhibition, not stopping all biting...

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Active Pup

Default How to STOP Puppy Biting

I would suggest providing him with other toys that he can chew on also one of those ropes that he can play tug with you. If he starts to bite you while u and playing with him then get up and walk away he will quickly learn that if he is aggressive during playtime then playtime is over.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Love my pets

I was told this trick by someone special on Chaz. Take a washcloth and run it under warm (not hot) water and wring out slightly. Wipe the puppy's face with the washcloth. It stimulate the mother licking it's face. I tried this and it worked. The puppy will get a calmness and stop biting.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Active Pup

Smile puppy biting

One of simplest ways to stop your puppy biting is to bellow "ow" in a deep gruff voice.(It took me a bit of time to get use to this I wasn't very good at bellowing in a deep gruff voice) This will surprise him and in most cases he will release his grip.

As soon as he lets go offer him a toy, he will learn that he is allowed to bite his toys.

Let him chew the toy for a few minutes, then take it from him using the command "give"

Another tool that you can use is a tin filled with pebbles, the aim of this is to make a loud sudden noise, the result will be he will stop what he's doing ,and then you can praise him for stopping what he was doing.

You must remember not to get angry with your puppy. You may feel concerned that your puppies biting is a sign of a poor temperament. Your puppies behaviour is instinctive and it will be your job to teach your puppy that biting is not acceptable if he wants to be part of your pack.

If you want to watch a video showing this technique then visit Puppy Training Biting | Lab Puppy Training
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Active Pup

Perfect info for me right now with a new puppy. I wish I'd found this 2 days ago!!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Please don't do things to frighten your puppy. A yelp is fine and works with some puppies, but don't be gruff. Some puppies perceive that as play so you wind up reinforcing the behavior. I agree with using suitable chew toys as replacement behavior in addition to the following.

This is the best advice you can get on puppy biting. It teaches bite inhibition...so the dog learns to regulate his bite...exceedingly important: I recommend you read both of these.

Bite Inhibition Article

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt

Teaching trading for valued objects is also important....trade him for something better than he has when you want him to give you something.

Here are some more artcles that should be helpful.

ClickerSolutions Training Articles Contents
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson