Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Few Q's :)

Hi,

My puppy is now getting to the stage where I think he's trying to test us.

I've got a few questions on training and how to stop a few things he has started doing.

1. when he gets over excited he tends to start snapping and bitting, now telling him no stops him for a min then he will start again, a tap on the nose wont help either it still continues. I can tell he is hyper and I think he is trying to play with us but Id like to know how to control this situation and stop it as soon as possible.

2. while we are out walking he is trying to pull my arm off, when we meet people and other dogs he just cant control himself, he has to jump all over them, Im aware this is a puppy thing but is there anything I can do to help reduce this problem and leave my arm where its supposed to be?

3. after he has had his walk fed watered etc, its time for him to get to bed for a bit so back in his cage he goes but once he is in there, he really puts up a fight and barks his little head off, now if you shut the door to the room he is in or ignore him for long enough he does stop but Id like to know how to tell him myself to stop and not have to leave him shut out from us.

4. I have a collie/kelpie cross so he is needing alot of stimulation to help him run off steam, now he's just turned 5 months old and Ive taught him to sit, lie down and give a paw, but Im looking for more ideas on helping him to have an active brain, anyone out there who's dog also needs alot of stimulation and has any ideas Id be really greatful.

5. he has started to eat bird droppings off the ground now which is really worrying me, he trys to roll in it as well, something I havent heard of, anyone got any ideas on this one?

Think thats all for now
Old 08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Hi,

My puppy is now getting to the stage where I think he's trying to test us.

I've got a few questions on training and how to stop a few things he has started doing.

1. when he gets over excited he tends to start snapping and bitting, now telling him no stops him for a min then he will start again, a tap on the nose wont help either it still continues. I can tell he is hyper and I think he is trying to play with us but Id like to know how to control this situation and stop it as soon as possible.
NO hitting. Let the puppy drag the leash with a fairly wide buckle collar. Control him off of you with the collar and leash until he calms. Then redirect him to a toy and play with him with that toy. Most puppies like this really enjoy tugging, and this is a good way for them to spend off this energy. Teach the pup to fetch, and play tug with him when he gets back with the toy. This will build your retrieve.
Quote:
2. while we are out walking he is trying to pull my arm off, when we meet people and other dogs he just cant control himself, he has to jump all over them, Im aware this is a puppy thing but is there anything I can do to help reduce this problem and leave my arm where its supposed to be?
Stop letting him pull! It takes TWO for any pulling to happen. Never let it start. I pull puppies RIGHT BACK to my left side, food reward the puppy for being at your side, and then DROP LOTS OF SLACK IN THE LEASH. This is important. Most people teach their puppies to pull by letting them lean/pull on the collar. NEVER HOLD A TIGHT LEASH.
Quote:
3. after he has had his walk fed watered etc, its time for him to get to bed for a bit so back in his cage he goes but once he is in there, he really puts up a fight and barks his little head off, now if you shut the door to the room he is in or ignore him for long enough he does stop but Id like to know how to tell him myself to stop and not have to leave him shut out from us.
Don't shut him away. Crate him in where you are, and ignore his fussing. Attention to a dog, even negative corrective attention, can feed the noise/complaining session and make it last longer. If needed for a while you can cover the crate with a blanket or towel when you put him in it. OR just leave him where you are leaving him. Don't look for trouble. If the puppy settles with the crate where it is, let that work for you.
Quote:
4. I have a collie/kelpie cross so he is needing alot of stimulation to help him run off steam, now he's just turned 5 months old and Ive taught him to sit, lie down and give a paw, but Im looking for more ideas on helping him to have an active brain, anyone out there who's dog also needs alot of stimulation and has any ideas Id be really greatful.
Teach the retreive. Teach attention. Get in a training class!
Quote:
5. he has started to eat bird droppings off the ground now which is really worrying me, he trys to roll in it as well, something I havent heard of, anyone got any ideas on this one?

Think thats all for now
Prevent this by removing feeders etc, that cause birds to leave droppings, keeping the pup on leash, or fencing him away from where the bird droppings are.