Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
It must be hard since it's family. Would you be willing to adopt if you found a purebred pup in a shelter/rescue? That would give you an excuse of sorts "well I wanted to rescue a homeless animal..." but I understand if you want the certainty that comes along with knowing your dog's parents. Although without testing you cannot be certain of their health any more than with a shelter dog unless he has had none of these problems in the dogs parents, grand parents, greats etc. on both sides. It's just my opinion, maybe people more experienced with working lines would know more, I just would never be comfortable going to a breeder who did not health test. If you are willing to look into rescue if you tell me your State I can look and see if I can find any purebred pups in your area.
Thanks for your insight on this. The rescue option was actually my first inclination, but taking into account my two cats (he would have to already be used to being around small animals, as I don't want to take any chances) as well as the fact that I want to bring him to work with me (with the elderly, no less) I don't know that I'd feel comfortable not knowing the background of the dog.

I've already contacted the breed club and they've sent me some information, as well as a number to call for breeder references. I was surprised there was only one number to call in the packet, however, and that's to a home address to boot. It seemed odd to me...I haven't called yet, but I suppose I should. I live in central Oklahoma if anyone has any good information to share, PM's are welcome.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

You might also contact SPIN - I know there's some Pyr rescue people up your way.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

my 2 cents may not be popular,,however,,even tho your FIL may not be the 'perfect" breeder..He's most likely doing more than most of your byb's out there.

He's working his dogs, his dogs are cared for, they seem to have longevity (9 years old for a pyr is pretty darn good especially one who's worked)..

I think if you like their temperaments, and want one,,why not go for it?

has he mentioned if any of his previous puppies have had any major health concerns? I'd most likely ask that.

I guess the only thing I can see in problems down the road,,if something genetic showed up, would this affect the relationship within the family? I think he may be put off if you did go elsewhere to get a pyr,,and that is certainly your choice on where you want to get a dog from.

For myself,,if I had a good gut feeling about it,,I'd go with it and take one..And if your close by,,volunteer to socialize with the puppies prior to bringing one home..
Good luck with your decision
Diane
Old 08-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

oh and I just forgot to add,,,puppies are a crapshoot no matter WHERE they come from.
diane
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

Also as being at the OKC animal shelter a lot they constantly have pyrs in and out of the humane society

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Workin' Dog

If a dog is seriously worked, that can be considered a breed/health test in and of itself to some extent. A dog with serious orthopedic problems, especially from a large breed like a pyr, is unlikely to perform acceptably at any kind of work demanding mileage. The fact that he is waiting a long time to breed his females gives health problems plenty of time to surface. An x-ray of hips might give you an added peace of mind, but I would never compare his breeding program to a back yard breeder- it sounds like he really cares about what he does and has a reasonable plan for breeding. You might sit down with him and talk about your concerns. Ask him about dogs that end up with orthopedic problems or other health issues, especially in the history of the parents of your potential pup. Every breeder of large breeds should be seeing some issues if they breed enough. But since most of his dogs stay local, he should have a pretty good idea which dogs have produced which problems. You might also see some aged relatives to see how they are holding up. In some ways this is more information than you will get with health screenings. There are plenty of serious issues that do not show up on the standard test but that you can see with your own eyes if your progeny and stud choices are local.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Being in the family , you can really keep tabs closer than another breeder . If the pup is free to you , would you feel comfortable asking him if you could have the dam's and sire's hip checked ?? I hope that you are close enough ( distance wise ) to help with the early weeks . Sounds like you have time before commitment . I'd suggest getting the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ...it would be most helpful to you ! BTW , welcome and let us know !!! Personally I wonder why there are so many Pyr in shelters and rescue groups !!! We're overloaded here ! I think they're lovely .... but will stick to a smaller likeness .... Goldens .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Water Junkie

I may have missed this, but are the parents health tested?

Other than that, everything else I have read, I would say "yes" he sounds like a good source to get your pup. I much prefer a breed that was ment for working, to work rather than show.

If he doesn't health test, I would be very hesitant to purchase a pup from him.

Good luck! Pyrs are beautiful dogs!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I think he sounds like a decent breeder. My problem would be, will a dog bred to work all day be suited to your lifestyle? I don't know much about pyrs, which is why I'm asking, maybe someone else can advise about that. It just seems to me that a farm/livestock protection lifestyle is a very different lifestyle than living in a home. Maybe I'm wrong??
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for all the replies! I live about 5 hours away from him, so it would definitely be possible for me to go down a couple of weekends a month to help with socializing. Unfortunately it's not quite close enough to manage more than that for the time being.

Grammy--thanks for the book advice, I've been a book-reading loon over the past few months, one more certainly won't hurt.

Lizzybeth--I was hesitant regarding the working v.s. "pet" temperment as well, until I spent some time with the dogs. Generally working dogs have a sharper temperment about them and can tend toward the more stubborn end of the spectrum, but the dam-to-be's personality was darling, and she responded relatively reliably to basic obedience (even for a pyr).

I've had some time to think about it, and while I'm still awaiting some information from other breeders, I think I'll do a little more investigating on my next trip to FIL's place. Hopefully I'll get to meet some more relatives (of the dogs, that is) and get a little more detail in person. I'll be sure and keep you all updated.