Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 AM
feel the magic

Default Help, Please

Has anyone heard of Shaggy Sophisticate Kennels in Century, FL?
They breed yorkies, chis, and poms...and now pugs.

My best friend didn't do all her research, didn't know better, and got a puppy from these people and the puppy is SICK.
Like, VERY sick. Like spent the day at the vet and the vet cannot even figure out what is wrong with her because she is so unstable at this point. They cannot even draw blood from her because the puppy is so STRESSED and her veins are so constricted from being dehydrated, so they cannot run any real tests on her.
They've given sub-cue fluids (under the skin instead of in the vein), but this puppy is SICK.
The vet thought she might be going into kidney failure, but she is now peeing, but only every 12 hours.
She's a fighter, she paws at them and tries to bite fingers, but she was so hypoglycemic when they got her into the vet, that her tongue was gray, but they put dextrose on her tongue and she perked back up a little and her tongue turned pink again.
She has demodectic mange, but that's the least of the concerns right now.

Puppy wasn't sick when she picked puppy up. Puppy got sick hours later.
She had missing fur when my friend picked her up, but was told by the breeder that it was a food allergy. My friend didn't know any better.

It's a LONG story, but one of the puppies from the litter has DIED already, but my friend found this out because the breeder uses a vet in Alabama. Well, my friend's vet in Florida, contacted the vet in Alabama, and that's how it came out that one of the puppies has already died. AND that's how my friend found out that the SIRE of her pup only has ONE testicle, and that the MOTHER has mange!!!

My friend is heartbroken, doesn't know what to do, but this puppy is a fighter, and she's hoping she pulls through.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM
feel the magic

Sorry, it's a little pug puppy.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

How terrible!! I don't know anything about the breeder, but will keep the little pup in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

What a shame !!!! Did she know that the breeder had so many breeds !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
feel the magic

no! She had no idea.
She learned of this breeder through her boss.

Puppy doesn't look good as of late this morning...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Just try me..

Did she get any guarantee?
Has she contacted the 'breeder'?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, I don't know anything about the breeder, but your friend could probably sue for fraud in small claims court. Its probably not worth it, but its likely she could. So, with a legal solution probably unfeasible, I suggest revenge.

What I'd do:

1) Take pictures. Send them to the breeder. Make it clear that the breeder must reimburse all medical expenses. (this if she cares about reimbursement, if not, skip to #2)

2) If the breeder refuses, and they will, post the pictures, the breeders name, and all the gory details ALL over the internet. Everywhere you can.
(By the way, don't threaten about the internet. That can be interpreted as extortion, and that's illegal. Just ask, even threaten legal action, and if they say no, start posting. But don't threaten to post)

3) Call animal control, the humane society, the breed club, and anyone else you can think of who would care, and tell them ALL about it. Send pictures.

By the way, this is NOT legal advice. But it would be very satisfying.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Check if you have "puppy lemon laws" in your state. It sounds like the breeder was either a BYB or a puppy mill.

Here is the puppy lemon law page:

http://www.malteseonly.com/lemon.html
Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
feel the magic

She has a contract.
My friend contacted...Animal Services and they told her she had 3 options.
I will try to remember what the options were:
1. she could return puppy and get her money back
2. She could keep puppy, treat puppy, and the breeder HAS TO pay the purchase amount in the vet bills
3. If puppy is treated, passes anyway, breeder not only has to pay her back the purchase price of puppy, but also has to pay the purchase amount in vet bills.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I read the one for FL . . . its an option. But you'd probably still have to take it to court and duke it out. That may not be worth it.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com