Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Lightbulb Yet another topic- food @ walmart

We discussed how bad the dog food I am using is in my other topic, and I decided to start another so we cna start new. I went to walmart today and wrote down all the food they carry. Please tell me the best one, as this is the only place to buy dog food around here, unless I travel 1 hour

*PURINA
One
Beneful- Puppy and Adult
Chow- Dog and Puppy

*OL' ROY- of course LOTS

*IAMS
Premium Protection
Proactive Smart- Puppy big dog
Puppy small dog
Proactive healthy naturals
Mini Chunks
Active Maturity
Lamb and Rice
Natural Blends
*NATURAL LIFE
Puppy
Adult
*PEDIGREE
Large dog
Small dog
*RACHEL RAY
Nutrish
Chicken
Beef
*KIBBLES AND BITS
Original
Beef

Sorry its SO long!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Puppy Dog

out of all of them I'd say the Purina ONE, but I'm not familiar with the ingredients in the Rachel Ray foods at all, or the Natural Life.

I'm not a fan of Iam's at all, I've always had horrible coat issues with it when I have used it in the past. Kibbles n bits is just junk with tons of dyes in it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
<--------Orson

I would say if you had to go with anything at walmart.........I would give the Rachel Ray a try. Just looking at the ingredients, it might be a TAD better than the others, at least there are no by products...........but no personal experience with it.

Also Kyrs, here is a pretty good link if you want to do some reading about dog foods http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

EDIT TO ADD: The natural life looks to be junk as well.........the second ingredient is CORN.

Rachel Ray Nutrish/Beef and Brown rice:
Quote:
Ingredients
Beef, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Corn Gluten Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dried Peas, Dried Tomatoes, Dried Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Olive Oil, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Dried Parsley, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Folic Acid
Purina ONE/Beef and Rice
Quote:
Ingredients:
Beef, brewers rice, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), oat meal, whole grain wheat, fish meal, non-fat yogurt, animal digest, defluorinated phosphate, malted barley flour, potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Bored Now.

The Rachel Ray - definitely. DON'T BUY THE KIBBLES AND BITS! Please, please. I want to see the executives in that company slowly tortured for their ingredients... they're past horrible, and right into "WHO thought it was remotely okay to put THAT in dog food?"
Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Do you have any grooming shops around you at all??? That's where I used to buy my Innova...

Out of that batch...Rachel Ray and perhaps Purina ONE would be the only ones.

Is there a Costco around you at all?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Blow. Me. Away.

Rachel Ray and Purina One sound like the best.
Ughh. A lot of shelters I've worked at feed Ol' Roy.
Poor dogs...
It created skin problems and all sorts of other crap..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Puppy Dog

I have a Paris Farmers Union, those (I think) are only in Maine and New Hampshire, so most of you guys probably don't know what that is. They are rather expensive (campared to walyworld). And I'm not really totally sure what they carry.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

How about getting it shipped? You can order most food over the internet.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Just try me..

The thing is it might actually be cheeper to spend more money of food. (sounds strange I know)

But lets say you need to feed 2 cups a day on something low qual like Purina One or that Rachel Ray one. If you spend almost twice as much on something good, but you feed only one cup a day, you spend the same amount on food and have a healthier dog. Which leads to less health issues down the road.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm All Ears

I'd check out the Paris Farmer's Union and see what they have and just price things and check out ingredients. If you have to go with the Wal-Mart brands, I'd go with Purina One or Rachel Ray.