Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesters
Weeelllllllll.........after many machinations I managed to jump thru enough hoops to get my photos reduced. You have NO idea, roflmbo. It is not like I am really wide awake.

The one important thing involved with rescuing dogs is that the person doing said rescuing should be prepared to have things done such as hip X-rays and possibly elbow X-rays as soon as possible. And of course there are the regular vet checks for all types of worms.

One good thing not known by pet people is that if a dog tests positive for heartworm, if an x-ray shows the infestation is not very heavy, the dog can be put on Ivomec, which will not affect the mature worms.....which will die off at a slow rate.......but will prevent further infestation. Also Ivomec kills all intestinal worms except tapes. Unfortunately the only really good tape wormers are only available from vets, and tend to be a bit expensive.

The importance of learning the status of the hips and elbows is that dogs who have HD may act sharply out of pain rather than aggressiveness. After the x-ray are developed then you know how much activity the dog should be able to tolerate, and if there is any abnormality of the hips, HOW MUCH and WHAT TYPE of activity can be tolerated.

Of course all of the above is simply my own personal opinion, which I hope most will allow me to express.
Manchesters...on the subject of tapewormers only being available through the vet, you are right until about 1 year ago!! I worked in a vet clinic for about 5 years and really payed close attention to the active ingredients in the prescription wormers. I thought you might like to know because you have a lot of pooches that you can now get Tradewinds dewormer over-the-counter and it's active ingredient is praziquantel which is the same ingredient in drontal and cestex. Another REALLY good dewormer that is exactly the same as Panacure( another one you get from the vet a.k.a as fenbendazole) is called Safeguard dewormer and it does it all, but only does one type of tapeworm so I give tradewinds wormer with it.

Anyway, sorry to write off topic, but thought the info could be useful, especially for a breeder.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Sorry if I misunderstood you, Smkie, I am very tired... but anyways... I was thinking getting more of a grown dog and not a puppy because almost all of the pups I was lookin at were strays.... I am scared that they would have problems because they never had shots or anything... I am really like this dog, Shasta, but I might wait to get her because "The animal posted may not have received a behavior assessment"... this is what was said in her info...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Manchesters

Default Obnoxious?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Wow relax. I said it was my fault because I thought the sig and comments were directed to the thread. No need to keep posting about it, drop it.
It is sad when people lack the ability to absorb what they are reading. And to think I was about to suggest a forum to assist people who want to post pictures in their posts or in their signatures. You drop it Fran------YOU started it. And you are continuing it. It seems you have nothing useful to offer about dogs so have to pick on others who do. That is not nice!!!!!! I made the effort to reduce the size of my signature for the sake of those on dial up. Not as an excuse for you to show off again!!!!!

Just leave me alone and all will be well. Doesn't your dog need to be fed???????

OK RENEE...........I will be good I promise. (Ducking under desk to avoid being hit)
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Manchesters

Default Not Off Topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
Manchesters...on the subject of tapewormers only being available through the vet, you are right until about 1 year ago!! I worked in a vet clinic for about 5 years and really payed close attention to the active ingredients in the prescription wormers. I thought you might like to know because you have a lot of pooches that you can now get Tradewinds dewormer over-the-counter and it's active ingredient is praziquantel which is the same ingredient in drontal and cestex. Another REALLY good dewormer that is exactly the same as Panacure( another one you get from the vet a.k.a as fenbendazole) is called Safeguard dewormer and it does it all, but only does one type of tapeworm so I give tradewinds wormer with it.

Anyway, sorry to write off topic, but thought the info could be useful, especially for a breeder.
Nothing pertaining to the health of dogs could possibly be off topic in a thread about rescuing dogs! These facts are things that any and all rescuers need to be aware of. There is more to rescue than just paying the money, putting on a leash and collar, and taking the dog home. The first stop should be the vet's office for the above suggested tests. Those new to dogs have no way of knowing this unless the suggestions are proffered to them!

Now, where can I get some info on the wormers you mentioned? Any online catalogs carry it?????? Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Felurian

Quote:
OK RENEE...........I will be good I promise. (Ducking under desk to avoid being hit)
Yes, you're trying to be a good dog, lol! Really, enough with the food fights, all. Before you make me re-think my opinion on crating I think some are even more food aggressive than my Shiva, and I NEVER thought that would be possible . . . You should have seen me crawling under the kitchen table last night to separate Shiva and Kharma because Shiva thought Kharma had a bite of food . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-27-2005, 01:14 PM
yuckaduck

Richie you are very very smart to wait for the behavioural test is done espically with a pit. I am not a fan of the breed however they are dogs and alot depends on how they are raised too. If she is sound mind and not aggressive, with food, kids, other animals. men etc then I hope you get her and I'm sure you will love her forever. If you don't get her then perhaps another dog. I thimk it is great that you wish to rescue, good for you, so many dogs who have no home.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:16 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

follow your heart..Richie..when i saw Vic's pic i knew he was the right one..and it is a good thing becuase if i went on first impressions i would have RUN the other way..he was rail thin..small, and desperate. This decision does involve your parents as well, they will be the ones to shoulder the vet bills and the differences made in the home..i just want you to think it thru all the way..if you were to change your mind, or this dog not to be acceptable in your community..i just feel you need a little experience under your belt that's all..and there is a risk taking home a small pup from a shelter, there is always a risk, even from a breeder, but the risk doens't always turn out sad or bad..sometimes it turns out to be your best friend..follow your heart and listen to your parents..this is their decision as well.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Island dweller

Hey Richie. That is a neat looking dog. I look forward to hearing more! You might want to start a new thread so people don't have to wade through this food debate to get to your good news. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:21 PM
yuckaduck

Good idea start a new thread and call it the no food debate, richie's new dog only! lol
Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
follow your heart..Richie..when i saw Vic's pic i knew he was the right one..and it is a good thing becuase if i went on first impressions i would have RUN the other way..he was rail thin..small, and desperate. This decision does involve your parents as well, they will be the ones to shoulder the vet bills and the differences made in the home..i just want you to think it thru all the way..if you were to change your mind, or this dog not to be acceptable in your community..i just feel you need a little experience under your belt that's all..and there is a risk taking home a small pup from a shelter, there is always a risk, even from a breeder, but the risk doens't always turn out sad or bad..sometimes it turns out to be your best friend..follow your heart and listen to your parents..this is their decision as well.
I don't know what to do anymore... my parents aren't much of a help either, in fact they get on my nerves... they think they know it all, when my mom keeps on saying "boxter" instead of "boxer"... and I'm not sure if I should get a pup or grown dog... I'm not even sure if I should even get a dog anymore... My parents don't know anything on dogs except that their parents raised some, and I'm scared they might hurt the dog... I just need some time to think I guess...