Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
With the organ meat, it depends who you ask. There are many different raw plans out there. I feed my dogs with the "balance over time" philosophy. That means that they don't get a 100% balanced meal every day, but instead get a balanced diet over the course of several days or weeks. I'll feed nothing but chicken quarters for a few days, then give them a meal of liver, heart, eggs and a bit of yogurt. Then the next day, they get some pork neckbones and some leftover veggies. And maybe the day after that, they get beef tripe for dinner.

Zeus took more than 2 weeks to fully adjust to raw. It just depends on how sensitive your dog's tummy is.

Bravo.

Variety is important. This is just how I do it as well.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
MyHorseMyRules

She's 38 pounds and six months old. Thanks for the help! I'll try to stop and pick those up today.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Part of the problem is a leg quarter is way too much for her.

Use necks and wings when you start back.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Should it just be one wing or neck at a time or two? I was under the impression I should be feeding her about a pound and a half, and the chicken quarter weighed less than that.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Bravo.

Variety is important. This is just how I do it as well.
And here I was thinking I was being a lazy raw feeder by doing it this way myself.

Also, it's very tough on the dog's body to be feeding kibble and raw simultaneously as they digest at different speeds. I've hardly met anyone whose dog did not suffer upset when they try to feed both at once (or same day), unless it's a very hardy dog.

I would do a fast then start in on the simple foods suggested above, like *just* wings for several days while her body adjusts. Then, as she becomes accustomed to it, start introducing new ingredients.

Good luck and good job for making the switch!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Blast it all! Even more trouble! I can't feed her kibble in the morning and raw in the evening? I was under the impression that a lot of people did that.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopoe View Post
And here I was thinking I was being a lazy raw feeder by doing it this way myself.

Also, it's very tough on the dog's body to be feeding kibble and raw simultaneously as they digest at different speeds. I've hardly met anyone whose dog did not suffer upset when they try to feed both at once (or same day), unless it's a very hardy dog.

I would do a fast then start in on the simple foods suggested above, like *just* wings for several days while her body adjusts. Then, as she becomes accustomed to it, start introducing new ingredients.

Good luck and good job for making the switch!
This is open for debate and lots of people's dogs do just fine eating both kibble and raw.

I think you have to do whatever works best for your dog and your situation.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopoe View Post
Me? Lazy? *innocent face* Okay, I admit it. Convenience is the main reason why I feed raw this way.

I'm a bit in awe of the people who use a grinder and make their own 100% balanced raw mix of veggies, bones, meat, supplements and organs---and feed it daily. There's no WAY I would do that. My two eat anywhere from 4-5 lbs of raw meaty bones per day, not counting veggies and organs. I could trash my kitchen and spend half a day making 50 pounds of food and have it last barely more than a week. I'm just not dedicated enough for that.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

I'd agree with the fasting for a day or so to get her system cleared out. Then I'd stop feeding the kibble and start with just the chicken leg quarter. A pound of chicken for a 40lb dog is about 2.5% of her bodyweight which is about right for an entire day's worth of food.

Your problem is too much too soon, simplify things for a couple weeks with nothing but the chicken legs. Then gradually introduce other muscle meats and put her back on some kibble if you want.

I do balance over time as well, but when you are just starting out, you can't worry about that. 2 weeks of a single food source isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:09 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
Blast it all! Even more trouble! I can't feed her kibble in the morning and raw in the evening? I was under the impression that a lot of people did that.
I do this, a lot of days, and my dogs are doing FANTASTIC. I can even get by with feeding kibble for several days, and going right back to Raw. It does not phase them. They have been fed Raw for years, though, and their digestive systems can handle just about anything. Going from being all-kibble-fed to Raw-fed is a big step; imagine the reprecussions if you changed your own diet so drastically! Not exactly the same, but if a vegetarian suddenly ate a pound of meat, the results would not be pretty. D;

Many dogs go through a detox stage... I definitely second what Red said. Well, except that my boys have never done well with ground meats. Fast for a day, and if it's possible, I would feed all raw until her digestive system is full of all that good flora. Yogurt and pumpkin will help. Don't worry about organs until she has firm poops. I prefer wings, necks and backs/carcasses to quarters, as they are more balanced. If you need to continue feeding kibble in the morning, I would increase the kibble for her breakfast, and feed her a small Raw meal for dinner... then increase the amount of Raw as she adjusts.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie