Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

The difference between dogs and children is comparing apples to oranges ! I would never spank a two year old , nor spank a dog !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I smack my dogs on their butts to get their attention, or to play with them. They seem to know the difference, based on my mood. So you can call me a little old-school. I don't take them over my knee and paddle them, but a swat on the ass when they're fixating on the cat? I've done that.
I've done that also. I still do it from time to time.

My dad, on the other hand, used to beat the dogs for peeing on the floor. Stuff like that is abuse.

Do not intentionally hurt your dog unless your are ready for them to protect themselves. I've seen people hit their dog, get bit, and then beat them even worse for biting...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
The difference between dogs and children is comparing apples to oranges ! I would never spank a two year old , nor spank a dog !
Agreed.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post

I just don't get why people can't just use the brains that they were given....

Because they dont know any better. Thankfully, yall worked me over, and saved me before it was too late .

My entire family uses "old school methods". Shoving their face in the pee, spanking and the handy dandy rolled up newspaper. I've tried over and over to tell them what they are doing is useless but they know best (see where I get my attitude from ) There are better more efficient ways to "train" and create a strong bond with you. And I've realized that once you create a strong bond and leadership all you will need is a simple verbal correction.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever View Post
Because they dont know any better. Thankfully, yall worked me over, and saved me before it was too late .

My entire family uses "old school methods". Shoving their face in the pee, spanking and the handy dandy rolled up newspaper. I've tried over and over to tell them what they are doing is useless but they know best (see where I get my attitude from ) There are better more efficient ways to "train" and create a strong bond with you. And I've realized that once you create a strong bond and leadership all you will need is a simple verbal correction.
I can honestly say......I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU BACK HERE GSDlover!!!!!!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever View Post

Big Time Kudos To YOU......
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
I am 100% against using this kind of physical punishment for any reason. It serves more to stroke the ego and satisfy feelings of anger for the human than it does to teach the pet a dang thing.

I just don't get why people can't just use the brains that they were given....
Ditto- absoultly unacceptable IMO in this day and age with so much information on more effective and dog friendly methods/

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by dr2little; 08-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

when I was little I did that with my dog... but no more!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

*takes bow* thankyou thankyou very much!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I'll swat, lightly, but its to get her attention. In fact, I'm usually just swinging my hand against the tips of her ears. So its not meant to be punishment, and, having done it to myself, it doesn't hurt. Its just to get her to stop fixating on something. But that's definately not spanking. And her reaction tends to be "Huh? What? Oh? Yes?"

I don't believe in spanking a dog. I do think there are RARE situations in which a hard swat might be in order, but, as I've stated before, physical punishment is the nuclear bomb of dog training . . . it might be in the arsenal, but you never want to use it. But repeated hitting? No. Never.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com