Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Default No Suprise Here . . . Top Ten Reasons for Pet Surrender

http://blog.helpingpups.com/2008/08/...quishment.html

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

I'm always amazed by people who move and don't take their dogs. How hard is it to put the dog in the car or on a plane so that it can move with you??
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Squishy face

Ummm they forgot one for both cats and dogs that you hear ALL the time: HAVING A BABY. It seems that babies and pets can't live together. Who knew?

And If I were to put that list in order of the frequency you hear excuses, mine would go:

1. Moving
2. Having a baby
3. Allergies
4. No time for pet
5. Everything else

I actually haven't heard the biting one much. Usually people just can't handle that rowdy adolescent stage.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Ummm they forgot one for both cats and dogs that you hear ALL the time: HAVING A BABY. It seems that babies and pets can't live together. Who knew?

And If I were to put that list in order of the frequency you hear excuses, mine would go:

1. Moving
2. Having a baby
3. Allergies
4. No time for pet
5. Everything else

I actually haven't heard the biting one much. Usually people just can't handle that rowdy adolescent stage.
I have to wonder how much of the "having a baby" problems come from the increasing paranoia about pets and kids. Although my parents were careful not to leave me unsupervised with the dogs when I was very small (especially my mother's ancient poodle, who hated me) by the time I was in kindergarden I was pretty much allowed to play outside with the dogs, by myself. I stole my great aunt's pug when I was a bit younger than that, so I must have been alone with the little guy at least for a few minutes. And about the same time a Pembroke corgi was pretty much my constant guardian and companion. I'm not sure if I was alone with her much, but she was always there. Now, I wouldn't recommend doing it that way today, really, if only because the family pet hurting a child is SO terrible in the consequences for everyone involved.

But from the press and some rescues, even, you'd think family pets were walking menaces to children. "We only adopt to families without children" "No children under 14" "No large dogs with children" "NEVER leave your child alone with a dog, ever, even if they are 8/10/12/14 (I've seen up to 16!) "Don't let the cat near the baby or . . . <insert dire health consequence here>" You get the impression that if the family dog were to get into the baby's room, it would immediately leap into the crib, eat the baby, and then rampage through the house to get the other children. This is, simply, bunk. Pet attacks, particularly SEVERE attacks, on kids are actually pretty rare, and the perpetrator is usually not the well socialized, beloved family pet.

Note, I am NOT advocating people leaving small children, let alone infants, with ANY animal, for any length of time, unsupervised, for the sake of both the child and the animal. But in spreading the word that Fido may not immediately react to babies and children as we would like him to, I have to wonder if the idea has gotten into people's heads that children and pets don't mix . . . and that would be a tragedy.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
You get the impression that if the family dog were to get into the baby's room, it would immediately leap into the crib, eat the baby, and then rampage through the house to get the other children.
that actually made me giggle pretty hard
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
But from the press and some rescues, even, you'd think family pets were walking menaces to children. "We only adopt to families without children" "No children under 14" "No large dogs with children" "NEVER leave your child alone with a dog, ever, even if they are 8/10/12/14 (I've seen up to 16!)
Um.... wow, I think I can handle a dog thank you very much!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Puppy Dog

I do parrot rescue and have heard some doozies about why they can't keep that little parakeet, or cockatiel, macaw etc. Blows me away what people will say to get someone else to take their "troubles" off their hands.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
F150 and a .30-06

As a mom to be with a visious breed, and a family breed, I say those who say that they cant have a dog because the are having a kid should be slapped.

Should something happen that one of the dogs did atack the kid for no reason or other behaviours that put the kid in jepordy then yes, re home. But simply because I am expecting. Arg

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayota View Post
Um.... wow, I think I can handle a dog thank you very much!!!

Yeah I'd say around 10, heck, even 8, and definately 12, that if you can't leave the kid and the and the dog alone, there is something wrong with a) the kid, b) the dog, c) your ability to plausabily assess risks.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Top Dog

I think there's definitely more paranoia and pampering of kids. They aren't allowed (or expected) to do as much as many generations past. Heck, a few hundred years ago things were at the other extreme--people were sending their seven year olds off to work in dangerous factories! I'm not saying we should go back to THAT but I don't think kids are idiots who are incapable of learning responsiblity and rules either. My grandma played with porcelain dolls and if those got broken or dropped, guess what--there was no money to buy a new one. If it's possible for a seven year old to learn to play nicely and carefully with a doll that will shatter into a million pieces if it's dropped, then it's possible to teach them to behave appropriately around dogs.

Quote:
But from the press and some rescues, even, you'd think family pets were walking menaces to children. "We only adopt to families without children" "No children under 14" "No large dogs with children" "NEVER leave your child alone with a dog, ever, even if they are 8/10/12/14 (I've seen up to 16!)
Yes, that saddens me. If your kid can't be trusted around the dog at age 16, then . . .

Heck, I got my dog when I was twelve. I trained her and fed her and walked her and read every dog book in the library while I was still convincing my parents to let me get a dog. To be sure I made some mistakes, but less mistakes than my parents would have made--they still thought shoving a dog's nose into her mess was a good housebreaking method. Oh, and my dad thought only small dogs belonged in the house and wanted to build a doghouse outside. Thankfully I was able to convince them not to do either of those things.