Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Iggy and Kitty Mom

I appreciate all the advice! I feel like I've tried everything suggested, I just need to be more diligent. My boyfriend claims that it's mean that I crate her when I can't watch her, but that's what the vet said to do. I just have to get him on the same page with me. (Most the time when we're home she's not crated--just when I have to do something and can't keep an eye on her). I can tell she's getting better slowly, but it's taking time and patience.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Fila Love

As for potty training, my fila has done great, few accidents but learned to bark early(everytime he barked I put him out and said go potty)but you have to get him out quickly still his bladder does not give me a lot of warning. The poopy was mastered first, then the bladder. The best thing for brutus as far as biting on the arms and the pant legs was to grab him by the nap of the neck and shake it(not hard) and say no. He would immediately quit. It worked great with him maybe it will work with yours also. I also did a rather loud ouch, Kind of high pitch. He would set back and look at me as if to say omg did i hurt you? I am so sorry. He was broke of the habit in two days. Hope this helps. Mine is now 12 weeks old but I am home all day so this may make a difference.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Top Dog

Give it some time. Boris was housebroken at 5 months and I was home all day.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 AM
~3 Mutts~

My two male pups finally got the hang of house training when they were five months old. Some pups learn quick, some not so quick. Some dogs can take nine months to house train, some learn in two weeks. It depends on the pup.

I would really like to advise against using tobasco sauce to curb biting. That stuff is HOT! It burns my own mouth horribly, so I can't imagine letting a pup lick it.

Good luck with Raika!!
Old 08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Iggy and Kitty Mom

Don't worry, I would never do the tobasco sauce...if it's too hot for me, it's way too hot for her in my opinion. I haven't been on here in a while, but the peeing and pooing is slowly getting better. I just take her out all the time and when she doesn't go, I am now putting her in the crate for 10 or 15 minutes, then trying again. We have only had 2 accidents this weekend, so I think that's pretty good. I tried attaching her leash to my belt loops and she saw the cat, took off and ripped my belt loop right off, not to mention pulling me halfway across the room!! I couldn't help but laugh at her for that one.
We went to the dog park again yesterday and she played with 2 puppies about her age....one was a golden and the other looked like a GSD mix of some sort. It was the CUTEST thing to see the three of them running around together! I was wishing I had brought my camera. We spent about an hour and a half there, and came home satisfyingly muddy and smelly. I wish I could take her every night, but I'd have to make it to the parks office by 5 to get a pass and I'm always late leaving work.
The biting is MUCH better...it's like she just grew out of it all the sudden!! She nips occasionally, and we correct her, but in general, it's much better.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I feel like I'm always posting problems on here, but I just really don't know much about dogs, so bear with me!!
Silly goose! That's what this forum is for!

They all vary. Some of my dogs have gotten the hang of it very quickly, within a matter of weeks or a month and Lyric, my Dobe, my most recent pup wasn't trustworthy until he was about 10 or 11 months!

Just keep at it. Watch for signs, sniffing around furniture, circling, restlessness. Take puppy out after eating, playing, drinking, napping...every 30-45 miinutes for a while. Watch like a hawk or crate when you can't. Try your best to avoid accidents. (duh...like you want accidents) And be patient. Praise like crazy when pup goes outside and give a command for pee. (just like everyone already said. I'm tired....need a nap)