Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Fila Love

Default help with fila puppy

This is my first night of chatting and I think I screwed up originally. So I am trying to correct it. I have an 12 week old fila male puppy. We have had him for 3 weeks. I am suddenly have problems with the word come. He was doing great but now he only wants to come when he wants to. We are also working on walking with the leash but he would rather chew on it and lay down. He is now 41 pounds and getting heavy to have to lift up each time he lays down. He is actually a sweetheart but his personallity has called for different training measures than I used on my rottie and my great dane( our great dane walked over the rainbow bridge 11/2004-we miss him so much, and Roxie my rottie does too. This is the reason for the new puppy). Any suggestions we be helpful.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

At this age he is most likely testing his boundries. Renee has two Fila's so she will most likely drop in to give you advice. I would continue working on come making it the most fun thing in the world. Lots of yummy treats and praise when he does. Have him on leash when you practice so you can pull him towards you gently if he decides he doesn't want to come. Always enforce a command after you give it. As for chewing on the leash, maybe get a halter so the leash is on his back where he can't reach it and to get him up again try the treats, it's gotta be something he really loves.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Fila Love

Your dogs are so cute. Thanks I will keep trying. I have noticed that he started this when my 18 month old grand baby come to vist. 2 day a week. He was in a lot of trouble last week for wanting to chew and jump. Which I cannot allow, but we are also going thru the she has to respect him also. I think we have the same age syndrome going here. He likes her toys, she likes his toys. She came over lastnight and I can tell he is trying much harder to be gentle with her. At his 41 lbs he can knock her over just getting near her. She is also trying to pet more. Hopefully we will meet a good family balance. I want her to love him, and him to love her. I have always raised my dogs as part of my family. This is a new experience as we had no grandbabies around when the other babies were little. I will keep working with him on the leash and I do think the halter would be a good idea. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Wow, that would be tough for a young pup that big! They hardly know their own dimensions they are growing so fast! It will be good for them to grow up together, from what I understand of the Fila breed hopefully they will form a strong bond. Thanks for the compliments on my pups. The third one down is a Caucasian Ovcharka, kind of the same idea as the Fila, a flock guardian. Those breeds are so loveable and loyal to their family they are wonderful companions. Good luck with your pup. What's his name?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Felurian

I love halters on them when they're 'little.' It gives you all sorts of control and they can't get to the leash to chew it as easily.

What is your boy's name?

When he's playing with the baby, start teaching him to lie down. Filas love children, especially babies and ESPECIALLY girls. You will never, ever have to worry about anyone snatching or abusing your granddaughter as long as your Fila is within earshot!

You need to be socializing your pup. When he is older, he will be making decisions about what action to take based on his understanding of what is normal and non-threatening and what might be a threat. A good Fila also has an instinct to strike at a perceived weapon in the hands of a stranger, so he also needs to understand and be used to people walking around minding their own business carrying things!

Keep working on his recall - remember, right now he's a baby . . . and a stubborn, self-determined baby unlike any dog you've ever had. They really do have minds of their own. You won't see a good Fila winning at obedience trials! They need a reason, not just arbitrary orders.

And talk to your Fila. The more he's talked to the more he will understand. At this point in their lives (Shiva is just two years old now and Kharma will be two in January) they have reached the point where they often respond before I ask, and they are both very good at understanding what I want even if it's a strange, new request. Working with Shiva to film commercials for Charley's furniture store was a breeze.

You will not believe the bond you will have with this dog.

Where did you get your boy, by the way?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Felurian

Oh, and the worst possible thing you can do to your Fila is ignore him. So you always have that ace up your sleeve. But be warned, he'll try to turn the tables on you, thinking that if it's that bad a punishment for him, it will work on you . . . They're also cunning, conniving and manipulative, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Fila Love

registerd will be Brutus Maximus, call name Brutus. Unless he is trouble then I use the middle. Just like my roxie, maggie and actual human son Todd. I think they will bond well. Just keep the fireplace covered when she is here. I know he is an agressive breed but so is my rottie. But she is part of our family and minds so well. She was an absolute terror when we got her at six weeks, but I kept working with her and She is a sweetheart and loves the grandbaby so much. The one I watch the closest is our adopted dog shiz mix with her . She is the one that can get testy. I think sometimes the smaller breeds can be a little more on the nippy side than the bigger ones. They are just so akward when they are puppys. As a matter of fact my roxie(rottie) growled at maggie)shiz mix) today as she thought maggie was going to do something. She is the alpha dog. But my oldest baby, and my fila brutus is my youngest baby, Maggie is the middle, but daddy likes them all but has given her a little more attention as he feels she was abused and new the other two grew up and will grow up in a loving family home.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 PM

This is just not fair! I want mine!

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Felurian

Okay, never, ever, ever let anyone tell you a Fila is an aggressive breed. That's just plain wrong and a dangerous (to your dog and our breed) statement. They are most definitely NOT aggressive. They are defensive. Isn't that a relief? These dogs are protectors and guardians without peer. And they love their people with all of their great hearts and won't allow any harm to come to their families or herds. But I can't stress enough the importance of taking your Fila places with you where he will be exposed to all sorts of stimuli and learn how to handle himself well. You want your Fila to have great self-confidence and command in every possible situation.

You're right about the little ones being testier, lol!

Poor Roxie may be in for a bit of a shock in a few months when Brutus dwarfs her! My Bimmer is half the size of the grrrrls, but he is still the boss though. He raised them and taught them how to behave - which they do most of the time

Be warned of something else that most breeders will never tell you: Filas are marauders when it comes to garbage, kitchen counters, cabinets, in short, anywhere they can reach food they will find it. It's inherent in their nature, and it can be pretty funny sometimes, as long as you aren't too upset when you go to get that tomato you had ripening on the kitchen window sill . . .

Here is a site with some of the best Fila information you will ever find: http://www.mindspring.com/~anableps/fila.html

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Fila Love

I have had a lot of fun with him. He hit all of the toilet paper in the bathrooms in the house one day. They were shredded everywhere. Keep in mind it has been 7 years since I have had a puppy. But I had to laugh and it brought back memories of the other babies growing up. This includes by grandbaby. She did it also. I am socializing him a lot as I did have to do this with my great dane and rottie and they turned out to be the best dogs you could ask for. I have read a lot about the breed and my husband would not let me get another great dane as we spent over 10,000 in medical bills on him. Great dog though. He had alway wanted a mastiff and thought all of them are bull mastiffs. Boy was he wrong. After researching all of the mastiffs I thought that this was the one for us. I loved their loyalty and affection. We live on a little over five acres and my husband goes out of town a lot. So often I am alone at nights, I know roxie would give her life for me if someone attacked our homefront and this really is not the reason I got him but it is always nice to know when you have big dogs in your yard people are stupid to mess with you. They freak out when they see them at the gate and refuse to come in. Even pizza delivery. It is a little funny because my dogs have never bit anyone. And have always been lap dogs. I just have moved my lap to the floor. Can you tell me if he is where he should be for his weight? He was 41 lbs at 12 weeks. I am going to try the halter. Told him that earlier. By the way I do talk to my dogs a lot. I am lucky I work out of my house so I get to spend a lot of time with them. Thank you for your help and I hope I don't bother you to much but his personallity is so much different he gets he feelings hurt much easier.