Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Anyone feed fish to their dogs?

In Colorado we have a fish introduced from Europe called carp. In Europe I have heard that this fish is highly desired cuisine, but here it is considered trash fish. They have over run many native fish species and there is no limit on the amount that you can catch. I could easily catch a hundred pounds of these fish in a day using a bow and arrow. I see that some fish is used in dog food and I know bears, foxes and coyotes around here eat them right up. The bones are tiny and scales are the size of a mans thumbnail. I could fillet them easilly and that gets rid of most of the bones and all of the scales...what are your thoughts? This would only be an occasional meal and certainly not a primary staple.

PS this would be for a Fila
Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Not sure about carp, maybe Mordy will know but fish is an excellent addition to any dogs meal. I feed talipia (sp) as an additional source of protein and some sardiens, anchovies, salmons, for the Omega acids. I feed my fish whole and the dogs have no problem with the bones or scales. Gunnar likes to eat his tail first, it's pretty amusing to watch.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Quigleyfied

i wouldn't say that carp is "highly desired cuisine" in europe (at least not as far as i'm aware, and i'm german), but it is an inexpensive fish that used to be a traditional winter holiday food, e.g. for christmas, new year's and so on.

carp originated from asia, came to europe around the 13th century and were introduced in the US by 1876 as a fish worth harvesting for the domestic food supply. you can read more about the topic here:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/nort...rphistory.html

as an interesting bit of trivia, goldfish and minnow belong to the same family of fish as the carp.

fish is as good of an addition to a dog's diet as any other animal protein, if your dog likes the taste - some do and some don't. chances are that if you introduce a young puppy to many different kinds of food, it will enjoy all of them later on in life and be more open to the introduction of even more new stuff.

no need to fillet the carp either, you can feed it as-is, bones, scales and all.

one thing you do need to be aware of is contamination with heavy metals tho.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:16 PM

Mordy thanks for setting that straight, I found it odd that anyone would prefer this fish over other types, but then again we have different cultures in different parts of our city that relish what others may think is nasty. I did know that they were goldfish/minnows even though many that I shoot exceed 25lbs and 32 inches. Not having to fillet them is a huge plus. Is there a way to test for heavy metals? I do know that many people eat other fish from the same waters as these, but then again we eat some real unhealthy stuff

thanks for the replies folks
Old 07-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Felurian

Quote:
fish is as good of an addition to a dog's diet as any other animal protein, if your dog likes the taste - some do and some don't. chances are that if you introduce a young puppy to many different kinds of food, it will enjoy all of them later on in life and be more open to the introduction of even more new stuff.
ROFLMAO! Mordy, a Fila will eat just about anything that doesn't eat them first, and even then there's a chance the Fila just might eat it from the inside out, lol! These dogs have lived from foraging for hundreds of years, surviving and even thriving on diets that most dogs would die on. Strange beasties they be

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

My dogs just love canned tuna. And salmon filets too. But yeah, I've yet to see any food they don't like too...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Felurian

Buck, you might be able to get a good idea on the heavy metals question by checking with the Fish and Wildlife/Game - whatever it's called, lol, and whoever is in charge of testing for water quality in your area.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Show Dog

We feed ours tinned tuna/mackeral/sardines (they like it tomatoe sauce but dont get that too often) and if poorly some boiled white fish. Just a thought though I believe salmon and trout should always be cooked due to infection from parasites, trematode worm which can carry bacteria which can cause some very servere symptoms and if untreated can result in death.

Cant says Ive heard of people eating carp in the UK, certainly not highly desirable to eat. They are fished for as a sport but thats about it as far as I know.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:34 PM
no touchy

My dogs love to eat fish....they get the occasional can of tuna and some fish once in a while and love it. Colby will eat anything.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Please keep in mind that certain types of salmon can kill dogs!

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.asp