Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Smile How can you tell a "show" and "pet" quality in a puppy?

I've always wondered how breeders are able to determine what puppy is "show" quality and what puppy is "pet" quality. They seem to do it at such a young age.... I would just like to know how...
Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, it's *you*

many folks use the Pat Hastings method...a series of evaluations. Really it's just about knowing your breed your standard and your lines...and getting input from others at times. I imagine what a person would look for would vary breed to breed quite a lot.

But in general...overall balance, type, proper temperament, and then that little something special that makes your eye go to that puppy over and over.

Of course to some...show simply means a lack...at 8-12 weeks old...of any disqualifying faults.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

I guess a breeder with a lot of experience in Breed X just knows what to look for. Some things aren't readily apparent until the dogs are older, though. (Like may a dog is too short or too tall.)

Others are obvious, like patched puppies in dalmatians.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Show people know what to look for !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
<----Thanks Allie

oh another question, how can you tell what a color is going to develop into? The family great dane is a blue, and when she was little her coloring was even, when she grew out of "puppy" stage, she had one spot that was a shade lighter, but not white.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Basicly you evaluate the litter through out thier first 8 weeks. At 8 weeks you do a gradeing. meaning you stack the pups and take pics. You then go over and pick each ones faults apart. Red saysit alot and shes right. There are no show quality puppies. There are only show prospect puppies. However you have a verry good idea at 8 weeks how they will turn out as adults

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM

I went to Pat's seminar and found the engineering side of it facinating. Pat uses the -3 days either side of 8 weeks- structure test. Really interesting.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh, it's *you*

I have heard great things about Hastings.

I find that in Beagles..what you see at 8 weeks for good or bad...is what you will have at maturity. It's like at that age and only at that age...they are little carbon copy's of their adult selves...lol. Before that it's a lot of baby fatness and silliness and after it's gawkiness and goofiness lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Dafuq?

I would think you'd be able to tell the structural traits young. What sucks is when you get that puppy and then 6 months later their bite goes off, or their ears start getting a little crazy. But in my house, we say screw it and show the dog anyway. Even if it's a serious fault, if the dog is overall the nicer dog, it will win.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Active Pup

Awww the fun of picking show puppies. You do try to take your best shot at evaluating the puppy against the breed standard. My breed colour doesn't matter thank god, I would hate to have a breed where colours and patterns had to be a certain way...YIKES!! Even your best evaluation dogs are dogs and grow at different rates and odd things can crop up at any time.

My last litter I had produced the SHOWIEST puppy I have ever had at 8 weeks. He is now 6 months old and is the raciest pup ever, so much for the show ring LOL

Abby