Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Felurian

Bubbatd's advice is excellent, especially since your husband doesn't want to deal with chewing. ALL puppies chew! And by rescuing an adult or young adult dog, you've already got a good idea of the dog's temperament.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Bernese Mountain Dog!

ye thats another option to look into.thanks for the advice.

could anyone give me some info on the WSS and also the vizsla. any other sugestions would be much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:07 AM
stirder

the reason the breeds you mentioned could be a problem is they are all energetic. even the bernese mountain dog (average life span of 7-8 years). bmd is a somewhat rare breed right now. contact the bernese mountain dog club of america and request a breeder referral list...there arent very many. that means that they are all (on that list) great breeders, but also means there could easily be a 12 month + waiting list and a price for a pet quality pup could be over $2,000.
wss is typically MORE energetic than a lab, so are weimerainer and viszla, both of which can be hard headed. there all breeds that need a lot of excercise.
list the criteria that you want a breed to meet, such as low energy level, very light shedder, guard dog, good with kids, etc and maybe we can give better suggestions?
I just went back and re-read your first post...all of them could be a jogging partner once their joints are finished growing. for a bernese that would be I think around 2-3 years old. but the bernese would be the most laid back in the house as long as it gets outdoor excercise. the others would be laid back as well but would require a great deal more outdoor excercise.
let us know how much time (absolute minimum) every day your family will spend excercising the dog outside, what activities the dog mgiht participate in with the family, is shedding a concern, etc
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Puppy Dog

this is easy...

labs are the best dogs
bernese mountain dogs are the best looking
welsh springer spaniels are ok to

dont get a cattle dog
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Puppy Dog

if u are unsure wait b/c u dont want to get the wrong breed and have to live with it for 15 years...
Old 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

I think that any breed is great as long as you do your research and get the breed that best suits your needs

I think that if you are trying to avoid the "puppy" issues hyperactivity, chewing, relieving themselves in the house etc.... you should rescue there alot of great young dogs out there that need a forever home

Ultimately the choice you make is yours just make sure it is a choice that you will be happy with for the next eight years or more

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandogg
this is easy...

labs are the best dogs
bernese mountain dogs are the best looking
welsh springer spaniels are ok to

dont get a cattle dog
Don't be fooled, labs have a whole set of "bad" issues as does any breed. In fact, too many people jump into getting a lab because of the above stereotype!

I would not recommend a cattle dog. They are hard workers and usually one person dogs.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM
stirder

I agree with showpug. and dont get a acd. I have a 12 week old acd and I can tell you, its a lot more work than the other breeds you have. they have a lot more energy, extremely strong herding instincts (which are to nip at heels/ankles), and they were bred to work very hard all day and night in the australian outback, where it can be well over 100 degrees in the daytime and below zero at night. and they are strong willed, very determined dogs who will try to break the rules 100 times a day. I wouldnt trade her for anything, and luckily my adult male gsd enforces the rules on her so its not just me and my wife. they are excellent dogs, but not for most people.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Bernese Mountain Dog!

one thing i forgot to mention is that i live in the UK, and have found breeders for all of those breeds,so finding a breeder isnt issue,nor the price.

in terms of excercise the dog (this is when it is nessesary,like teenager and adult when its bones are fully grown,as a pup needs less) will get a 15 min walk in the morning,a 25-40 min run around in a park on the majority of days,or more time on the weekends.if not able to take to the park then a long walk,and then in the evening a 10-20min walk. this will be tied in with play sessions in the garden etc.on the jogging side we'll see when we'll do that,probably in the 2nd walk/run around.

because of the life span of a bmd we are a bit hessitant though,and if we do then we will have to search for long lived lines.

in terms of critera:

does not have to be a guard dog.
main role:family pet and companion.it wont be used for hunting or to 'work'.
otherwise just a breed that suits our lifestyle really.

ive researched the lab alot,and have heard good and bad,pros and cons,so i supose it just depends on the invidual dog how much it lives up to its breeds 'typical' temperment.

so were still leaning to WSS, but have a few more months to look into the breed even more and look at other.

has anyone got any personal experiences with a WSS?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Here is a list of dogs with a low exercise demand.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/exerciselow.htm

Here is a quiz that may help.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Excellent lap dogs.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lapdogs.htm

I encourage you to really do research on your own. You should know as much as possible about the breed before you get it. Breed rescue pages are really good resources for information, because they are truly honest about the characteristics of the breed.