Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Bernese Mountain Dog!

Default Help on choosing a breed,Welsh Springer Spaniel,lab,or a Bernese mountain dog?(ACD)

Hi. Me and my family have been thinking of getting a dog for about 6 months now, and are waiting a bit longer until the time is just right to get a dog. We have been looking at a few breeds and have narrowed it down to:

*Welsh Springer Spaniel.

*Bernese Mountain Dog

*Labrador.

Another one in mind is an Australian Cattle dog, but we have to do more research on that before we put on the list.

I want to give you as much information as I can so that you guys can help us make a decision.

Btw there are 4 people in the house, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The people that will be the main careers will be me and my son, who will be 15. We have everything sorted out apart from finalizing the breed to get.

So far the one on top is the Welsh springer spaniel. The reasons for this are that it is less hyper/active in the house than the Lab. Also Labradors chew more that the WSS so that would suit some people in the house better. The Bernese Mount dog is next, then the lab.

The likelihood of getting a lab is highly unlikely, mainly due to the reasons above. We donít mind an active dog or a chewer, itís just that I have been told and have read on the forum that they are very good at it compared to the other 2 breeds. I am not putting the lab down, I would love to have one but I think it would suit my husband better.

When it comes to the Bernese mountain dog there is a set back. My son likes to run/jog, and would like the dog to be a running/jogging partner. Iíve read that the BMD is not a dog to be taken jogging, itís more of a heavy, muscular dog that was bred to pull carts etc.

So, so far the WSS is high on the list. I am going to do some research on the Australian Cattle Dog and see if that would fit our life style any better that the WSS. If anyone could give me any info on the ACD that would help, that would be good.

Please give me any feedback you can, and make any comments. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

Wow those are all really different breeds that you have on your list it sounds like you want a dog to suit you son and an active lifestyle what are your uses for the dog pet, jogging partner, couch potatoe, hunting? I would like to suggest a breed if you a want good pet but energetic partner for your son

Weimaraner

They are great dogs not as active as a lab but a great companion and would love to go on a jog with your son

It sounds like the BMD is just a favorite not for the use but more likely the look? why did you choose this breed? not that it is a bad breed but if you are wanting a more active breed of dog this would not be a good choice

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Bernese Mountain Dog!

yes,i agree totaly.so i guess were going for the WSS,ill have a look at the weimaraner also.

yeah we wouldn't be using a BMD for pulling things, and it wouldn't be suitable for running so we wont get that.

the dog isn't just going to be jogging partner. its main role will be a family pet and companion, but a dog that could jog would be prefered by my son.

thanks,we still have some time to think about it though.ill research the Weimaraner.

but what do you think of the Welsh Springer Spaniel?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Don't get an Austrailian Cattle Dog if you are just looking for a companion animal. They are very active and need a job to do, weather it be herding, obidience, agility, or what have you. But they don't do well just lying around the house. They need lots of attention. This tends to go for most of the herding breeds. The Lab would probably be the best companion dog of the ones you listed. Here are some links.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm
http://www.australiancattledog.com/
http://www.acdrescueassociation.com/...nadopting.html
Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

Although I don't know much about the WSS I do know we have two in our local dog club and they seem to be great loyal dogs one is a male the other is a female both owned by the same lady they seem to excel in obedience and agility too the WSS would probably be a great breed for you may I also suggest some other breeds that fit your criteria

German Shorthaired Pointer
Vizsla
Beagle (I know it sounds strange but seriously)
Rhodesian Ridge Back
Boxer

Another suggestion is there is a thing on the net called puppy match I don't know the web page (some one else might) but it matches you to the breed that is best for you and it is pretty accurate you might want to give it a try

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

The breeds you mentioned could be a problem. Why not go and find what suits you at a Humane Society, ?? Yes, I bred goldens for 40 years, but times have changed... breeds have changed . You could look up rescue groups of each of you wanted breeds. Our Golden Rescue had a 3 year old wonderful golden whose Mom and Dad had to give up because of going into a Nursing Home......a fully trained, healthy wonderful dog for $150 . Yes, I love puppies, but mine were so special I can't go that route again. The cuteness of a pup lasts about 6 months...An older dog well trained lasts 10 to 13 yrs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_W
Don't get an Austrailian Cattle Dog if you are just looking for a companion animal. They are very active and need a job to do, weather it be herding, obidience, agility, or what have you. But they don't do well just lying around the house. They need lots of attention. This tends to go for most of the herding breeds. The Lab would probably be the best companion dog of the ones you listed. Here are some links.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm
http://www.australiancattledog.com/
http://www.acdrescueassociation.com/...nadopting.html

I totally agree w/ you on the ACD part!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I would either go w/ a WSS or a Weimaraner, since your son likes to jog/run and be outdoors. Weimaraners love to play and exercise, so I would say those dogs, but a WSS is a great jogging/running part as well. Don;t know which one out of these 2, thats your call.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Twin 2.0

Who told you WSS's are less hyper than Labs?? That's not been my experience...but it could have been those particular dogs. Otherwise, they're a great breed, but they do live up to the "Springer" part of their names! They do need regular grooming (coat clippig), which is something that Weims and Labs don't need. Weims can tend to be very nervous or neurotic, so that is something to watch out for.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Bernese Mountain Dog!

[QUOTE=bubbatd]The breeds you mentioned could be a problem.[QUOTE]

bubbatd why could the breeds i mentioned be a problem?do mean in terms of finding a breeder?

zoom,knowbody said they were less,i was just saying that id read and heard that labs were very hyperactive dogs. so when i was comparing the two dogs i swayed towords the WSS. in your experience what were they like?

p.s. how do i quote just a section of what someone says?