Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Rusty but Trusty

she'll be done in 3 weeks (after I get my paychecks from work). When can a male dog be neutered? Maverick isn't neutered yet and we have until december to get it done for him but we want to do it ASAP.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:29 PM
no touchy

After a heat, a dog should not be spayed for at least a few weeks.

Having her spayed will be sooo much easier!! I have three female dogs....and heats are absolutely horrible for the dog and the owner.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

A male dog is definitely fertile at 6 mos. How old is Maverick? If he's close to 6 mos., Good Lord, when it rains it pours for you!!! You might want to keep them separated for a few weeks!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

puppies can be spayed/ neutered at 16 weeks some vets will do it earlier and some later it depends on your vet and the breed of dog you would be wise to have them both sterilized while you have the chance

Your female could be coming into heat at any time so keep a close eye on her and you may notice an icreased intrest from your male also he may go off of his food if you notice any of these signs or her vulva swelling for god sakes make sure you keep them seperated even in the house

If she happens to come into heat before you can get her spayed most vets make you wait for two weeks after their heat cycle is done but you may want to check with your vet he/she may do it differently

Good Luck

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

That's correct, dogs should not be spayed until they are fully out of heat. A lot of vets will do it while they are in heat, but don't be fooled, the surgery is a lot more dangerous. They have a greater risk of bleeding, the surgery takes longer and the incision is usually larger because they have to remove a swollen uterus and ovaries etc. It is best to wait until about 2 months after the last signs of heat have gone away. It is always best to spay before their first heat.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Maverick is only 9 weeks old (he's just a little pup). Mack and Shelby have both already been neutered and spayed. I plan on getting Maverick done as soon as my vet gives me the ok. I'll have to use my one and only credit card to get him done, but I don't care as long as it gets done. I just got this card so I'll have to hide it so I won't be tempted to use it until after Maverick is neutered.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

Yes, spay her now ! If she does come into heat you must wait 2 months until her progesterone level declines completely.If the progesterone secretion is suddenly stopped, nervousness or irritability may occur for a time.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

ok, I'll ask my vet if he can spay her and hold a check for a few weeks. He usually will but we have such an outrageous bill with him now from Shelby. I think he will, he's pretty understanding.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM
I W A L R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogsLoveMe
Very wise decision on getting her fixed, responsible owner
Yes!!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Taco Dog

Pugs is right. My bosses do spay dogs in heat all the time, BUT, it is more dangerous for all the reasons she said. It also will almost double your cost. At least it does here. Oreo was done while she was in heat, and she was in major pain and it took her a few days to recover. But, we had the money to do it and she was vomiting everywhere and bleeding, so we just went for it. She has now doubled her weight from 5lbs. all the way up to right around 10lbs. Very plump little girl now. Precious only gained 5lbs. after she was spayed. She now weighs 50lbs.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com