Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Active Pup

Talking Looking for a reputable cocker spaniel breeder

Does anyone have any suggestions. I would really like to find a blue-eyed merle cocker spaniel puppy.
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Dogs rule humans drool

try looking in rescues centres, there is far to many dogs in rescue centres that r looking for homes without breeding more

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Please visit this website and look at the right at the letter. Merle is not the desirable color pattern among animal lovers. Why don't you visit a local shelter and fall in love with one dog that desparately needs a loving home.

http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org/

sorry for the frown, but this just eerks me at people that just want a 'trophy' breed only for the 'looks', and which in time will be health ridden and put down at just one blink of the eye.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeah, I would suggest looking in a rescue before buying from a breeder, especially since you just want a pet puppy. I don't know a whole lot about cockers, but it sounds like this merle color isn't very desireable by the cocker community so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to encourage those breeders looking to specialize in a color that's not allowed under registration.

Side note: I have seen a little cocker puppy out at the park recently that appeared to be a normal colored red and white(orange and white?) with blue eyes. Neat looking puppy; I hope she came from a decent recognized breeding. BUT most breeds that express blue eyes also tend to have some sort of problem. In Aussies, some of those blue-eyed merles (which is perfectly acceptable in this breed) turn out to have slightly poorer eyesight, or problems with very bright light. As a general rule, darker eyes are better health-wise than light.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Try petfinder.com and put in your zip code, all the cocker spaniels in your area will be listed.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Snow Girl

I never even knew there was such a thing as blue-eyed cocker spaniels!!! Is that even accepted in the standard????

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Taco Dog

I have never seen a blue-eyed Cocker either oc. Is this common?

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 07-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

I've never seen one either. Try to go to a dog show and talk to breeders. If you answer an "ad"...check out full pedigrees, the parents testing, visit the breeder's home. The pups should be well taken care of, socialized, etc.....you can pick up a lot from the breeder's attitude towards a prospective buyer. Be careful !! I would recommend rescue too though.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
a.k.a: agilitydobemom

Your best bet would be a rescue if you rescue a dog you will get so much more appreciaton from your dog

But if you really want to buy from a breeder go to any dog shows in your area and contact your local dog clubs they can help you find a reputable breeder in your area you can even log onto AKC's website and they can give you information on local reputable cocker breeders

He sends the special ones to us when we are least expecting them
Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Chances are you will not find a reputable breeder that breeds the color you are looking for because it's NOT a reputable color. I have never seen a merle blue eyed cocker. In order to get this combo, one would think that they have mixed in aussies or some other merle breed with "feathers" and blue eyes. It's like the people that claim they have AKC brindle pugs....it's just simply a result of mixed breeding and a money making scam. Sure, there are brindle pugs, but it's not an acceptable color and is a result of breeding in frenchies or bostons I can guarantee you that breeders that purposley sway away from the standard with the intent to sell what is "cool" or "rare" are only in it for the money and never for the dogs.

If you truly want a cocker, than go for it, but don't choose a breed based on looks or color. Choose a breed based on energy requirements, maintenence, temperment and size etc. Go to the shows and see different breeds and meet people who pride themselves in protecting the breed they love and the way it is suppose to be. Good luck to you