Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm on a boat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
The quote'' wonderful temperament.'' I mean, most people don't think of a very protective and aloof breed as wonderful, so I just wanted to be clear that she isn't breeding '' stranger loving'' chows.
That kind of attitude is what led to a rash of badly bred, ill tempered Chows, imo. Aloofness is one thing, being unapproachable is another thing altogether.

While, were a stranger to approach me in a threatening manner I'm sure there'd be issue, both of my Chows are more than happy to either sit by my side calmly, or greet a neutral person with butt wiggles.

When looking for a Chow pup to join my family, I searched for a breeder who had family dogs, did health testing, and focused on temperament. I got a pup who fit our household perfectly. At 7 months, he's still a splendid example of what I was looking for.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
RedyreRottweilers

This thread is intended to be a positive list of excellent breeders.

Let's try to keep it on that positive topic, please.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grab01 View Post
That kind of attitude is what led to a rash of badly bred, ill tempered Chows, imo. Aloofness is one thing, being unapproachable is another thing altogether.

While, were a stranger to approach me in a threatening manner I'm sure there'd be issue, both of my Chows are more than happy to either sit by my side calmly, or greet a neutral person with butt wiggles.

When looking for a Chow pup to join my family, I searched for a breeder who had family dogs, did health testing, and focused on temperament. I got a pup who fit our household perfectly. At 7 months, he's still a splendid example of what I was looking for.
Sorry, but I didn't say inapproachable. Though it is not unusual for a Chow to be very reserve from strangers.

Sorry, back on topic.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
feel the magic

The person I plan on hopefully getting my next pup from (if I go this route), isn't a breeder YET.

She has YEARS of experience with ADBA, AADR registered APBTs, and ALL required and appropriate health testing will be done.
She's kind of my mentor for the breed.
She will only breed what she needs and they will be of the best, imo.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Depends on what you are looking for in a Border Collie?? What are you looking for defines where you look. I know of many show type breeders that have dogs that can work too.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleigh View Post
Depends on what you are looking for in a Border Collie?? What are you looking for defines where you look. I know of many show type breeders that have dogs that can work too.
*sigh* 'round the tree we go

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
RedyreRottweilers

This is my second request to keep this a positive thread about breeders you like.

If you have negative comments of any kind, please start another thread.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
This is my second request to keep this a positive thread about breeders you like.

If you have negative comments of any kind, please start another thread.
Will do.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Sorry, just getting back to this thread!

Hey Zoom! Just popped back in this past week after taking a break for a few months.

It's doubtful that I'll breed Khana. Am going to give it some last thoughts over the next few months and then probably have her spayed. I just don't think that my situation at this time is right for breeding, although I do think that Khana would be an excellent breeding prospect. She'll be four in November so time is getting short. I would dearly love to have a litter of "little Khanas" but life doesn't always work out to fit what we want!

Tahla9999 - No, these breeders are not trying to produce improper temperament. A well-bred chow should be accepting and approachable, without aggression unless it is absolutely warranted. In the words of Samuel Draper, chow owner/breeder for 40 years, judge at Nationals and Westminster, co-author of "Book of the Chow Chow" and "World of the Chow Chow":

""We must prove the goodness of the breed to the world by showing the public that the Chow is a friendly, steady, stable dog, one that can be loved, trusted and counted on always to be agreeable with strangers."

The concept of "aloof" is too often interpreted as "can be mean if it wants to". Good breeders are working hard to correct the mistakes made by popularity and overbreeding. The temperament of all of my chows - all from different bloodlines - has been stable even with strangers. In the case of the Redcloud lines, there's been a big push for health, too, which is vitally important in a breed that ranks #1 in elbow dysplasia with some 47% of chows being affected.

Grab01 - very glad to hear you have chows with proper temperament too!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliamnasQuest View Post
Sorry, just getting back to this thread!

Hey Zoom! Just popped back in this past week after taking a break for a few months.

It's doubtful that I'll breed Khana. Am going to give it some last thoughts over the next few months and then probably have her spayed. I just don't think that my situation at this time is right for breeding, although I do think that Khana would be an excellent breeding prospect. She'll be four in November so time is getting short. I would dearly love to have a litter of "little Khanas" but life doesn't always work out to fit what we want!

Tahla9999 - No, these breeders are not trying to produce improper temperament. A well-bred chow should be accepting and approachable, without aggression unless it is absolutely warranted. In the words of Samuel Draper, chow owner/breeder for 40 years, judge at Nationals and Westminster, co-author of "Book of the Chow Chow" and "World of the Chow Chow":

""We must prove the goodness of the breed to the world by showing the public that the Chow is a friendly, steady, stable dog, one that can be loved, trusted and counted on always to be agreeable with strangers."

The concept of "aloof" is too often interpreted as "can be mean if it wants to". Good breeders are working hard to correct the mistakes made by popularity and overbreeding. The temperament of all of my chows - all from different bloodlines - has been stable even with strangers. In the case of the Redcloud lines, there's been a big push for health, too, which is vitally important in a breed that ranks #1 in elbow dysplasia with some 47% of chows being affected.

Grab01 - very glad to hear you have chows with proper temperament too!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Just wanted to make sure that people are not changing this breed into golden retrievers, which they are not. I never see the chow as an aggressive breed, but definitely not a breed everyone could own.