Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 AM
feel the magic

Oh, also I should mention that AFTER our session, my trainer had her dog in a downstay out of Ella's view. Well, my trainer came over to us to talk about the session.
I gave Ella to my husband to hold onto because my hands were tired, and my trainer's dog broke her downstay (she's a very well behaved dog and obedient, but no dog is a saint ALL THE TIME) and she came bouncing over to us.
Ella didn't pull, lunge, bark or react. She looked at her, but no negative reaction.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that. After training sessions, I'm exhausted and overwhelmed with new info.

And this CAT stuff is not a walk in the park by any means. I wanted to come home and go to bed, I was SO tired.

ETA: I don't know if my trainer is a member of the 5th quadrant. I know she's part of some list serv for this that Kelly (and Jesus? maybe?) are a member of, but I don't know if it's that same yahoo group.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Lord Cynical

I wish you luck! I'd love to see Miss Ella get over her doggie.... issues... so you'll have to keep us updated! I know it'll take time and perseverance, but where there's a will theres a way.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 AM
feel the magic

Aw, thank you, Sizzle.

Doc, please post any info you get from Kelly.

I know I haven't hurt Ella any worse, but I really want this to work for her.
Since she's of a breed that easily can become DA, my biggest hope is that this will cause her just to behave on leash and not react to other dogs.
But, I mean, if she learns that other dogs are ok and she doesn't have to harm them, that'd be great, too.
I am trying not to have expectations at all. That may sound bad, but when you're dealing with a dog as DA as Ella, you're willing to try just about anything (barring it doesn't HURT your dog), in hopes that it *might* work.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Aw, thank you, Sizzle.

Doc, please post any info you get from Kelly.

I know I haven't hurt Ella any worse, but I really want this to work for her.
Since she's of a breed that easily can become DA, my biggest hope is that this will cause her just to behave on leash and not react to other dogs.
But, I mean, if she learns that other dogs are ok and she doesn't have to harm them, that'd be great, too.
I am trying not to have expectations at all. That may sound bad, but when you're dealing with a dog as DA as Ella, you're willing to try just about anything (barring it doesn't HURT your dog), in hopes that it *might* work.
I wasn't going to ask Kelly questions but rather see what your trainer got as a response. I already know what Kelly would tell her and didn't want to come across as a knowitall.. I think that Ella is very lucky to have someone who is willing to help her as much as possible but who will also understand what her limitations may be and love her for all the wonderful stuff.
Many DA dogs can only ever get to a point where they don't want to attack another dog, they're socially tolerant under supervision and control and that would still be fantastic. Reactivity can be such a stressful thing when you're a loving owner at the end of the leash of a dog who you know to be so fantastic in every other way. Good for you for doing all you can for your dolly Ella.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, also I should mention that AFTER our session, my trainer had her dog in a downstay out of Ella's view. Well, my trainer came over to us to talk about the session.
I gave Ella to my husband to hold onto because my hands were tired, and my trainer's dog broke her downstay (she's a very well behaved dog and obedient, but no dog is a saint ALL THE TIME) and she came bouncing over to us.
Ella didn't pull, lunge, bark or react. She looked at her, but no negative reaction.
I can't believe I forgot to mention that. After training sessions, I'm exhausted and overwhelmed with new info.

And this CAT stuff is not a walk in the park by any means. I wanted to come home and go to bed, I was SO tired.

ETA: I don't know if my trainer is a member of the 5th quadrant. I know she's part of some list serv for this that Kelly (and Jesus? maybe?) are a member of, but I don't know if it's that same yahoo group.
That's interesting... Would she normally have gone a bit snake if an off leash dog approached?

Oh, and yes...she's likely a member of the 5th. I'll go and take a look for her questions.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Dafuq?

Constructional Aggression Treatment. CAT?

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-16-2008, 06:14 PM
feel the magic

Thanks, Doc.

I don't know how often my trainer makes it online. I know she's busy with training. She does obedience classes and agility classes.
And she does a lot of private sessions as well.
And I know she doesn't have the fastest internet connection.

And Lindsay, yes, CAT. hahahahaha. Funny, huh?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
Constructional Aggression Treatment. CAT?
Owner - I have a DA dog.

Trainer - I have a treatment that might work, it's called CAT.

Owner - Oh no, my dog already LURVES cats!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
Owner - I have a DA dog.

Trainer - I have a treatment that might work, it's called CAT.

Owner - Oh no, my dog already LURVES cats!
hahahahahaha!!!

Doc,
Did you catch my thread in general about our encounter with an off leash lab this morning on our walk?

Could have turned out worse, but Ella's reactivity wasn't pleasant.

AND, no, the way she reacted to my trainer's dog last night is NOT the typical way she responds to dogs approaching us.
It was VERY different.

But I don't know what this encounter will do to ANY progress we MIGHT HAVE made last night.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
hahahahahaha!!!

Doc,
Did you catch my thread in general about our encounter with an off leash lab this morning on our walk?

Could have turned out worse, but Ella's reactivity wasn't pleasant.

AND, no, the way she reacted to my trainer's dog last night is NOT the typical way she responds to dogs approaching us.
It was VERY different.

But I don't know what this encounter will do to ANY progress we MIGHT HAVE made last night.
I'll go and take a look at the thread.