Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Maybe it's just the breeds that I have, but yeah, I *DO* recommend collies to people. I think they're a fantastic choice for someone who wants a moderately active herding breed. For a family that has fallen in love with the looks of the Aussie but doesn't have the knowlege or ability to deal with their training and energy needs? A collie can be a GREAT choice.

In the case of the spitz, I *DO* promote them heavily, but generally to other dog people. I think they are going to be a VERY competitive breed in performance as they get more popular. I also promote them somewhat to pet people (but tend to send folks to Pom rescue more often, as there just aren't tahat many spitz breeders out there.) They're big enough to be a bit more durable than Poms and some of the toys with kids, but small enough to be a reasonable pet in almost any living situation. They're energetic but not horribly so- they really DO have the ability to settle.

I'm much more cautious about the Cardis. They can just be so darn hard-headed, and a badly-trained spitz (or collie) is just bratty- a badly trained Cardi can be a menace.

Corgipower, I know we've differed on this before, but I really don't believe there are any 'working' lines of Pems left. That's generally a fallacy promoted by people who live on a farm and have Pems, not people who actually work them on stock or critter with them.

All three of the breeds I'm involved in ahve their drawbacks. That's true for any breed. But I think that collies are possibly one of the MOST underrated family dogs out there- yeah, they need some grooming, but nothing horrible, certainly not any more than a show-bred Aussie!- and the smooths are readily available. The Spitz can be bratty, but frankly, not any more so than your average spoiled toy dog, and the limited number of breeders means that pet owners WILL get screened and educated prior to purchase. The Cardis are in a similar situation (although it's sort of scary how many BYBs there are compared to when I got my first Cardi in 2001.)
Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Corgipower, I know we've differed on this before, but I really don't believe there are any 'working' lines of Pems left. That's generally a fallacy promoted by people who live on a farm and have Pems, not people who actually work them on stock or critter with them.
I believe Sizzle's Ada comes from working lines.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm All Ears

It depends. A lot of people wanting a pap, I talk out of actually because I don't think they understand what they're getting into. A lot of people come in with a pap in mind looking for a calm lapdog that can be left alone long periods of time and doesn't shed or bark. O.o For some reason a lot of the people looking for a dog like that see the pap's dainty appearance and think that's what they need. Well, it's completely NOT. I always mention that they shed, they bark, they're high energy and very smart. And they're also obsessively devoted to their owners and want to be with them all day long. They are a breed that unfortunately by their small size and cute, cuddly look attract a lot of the people that want a baby doll. However, I think they're fantastic little dogs and do not hesitate to recommend them to people that would be good with them. Unfortunately their looks attract a lot of people that really don't need one and tend to not attract a lot of the people that WOULD do well with them. If you're looking for a small sized, capable, very smart and energetic companion, then they might be great. If you want a lapdog, then you need to check out another breed...

I rarely recommend shelties because of mainly their barking, shedding and their propensity to be shy. They require tons of socialization and they also tend to nip at young kids running. I think I've reccommended shelties once.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

I sure don't recommend a Golden to anyone who wants an outside dog ! They need petrocks !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

i don't recommend OES to people unless they understand how much care the coat takes, as well as how much exercise they need!

I don't recommend cattle dogs or cattle dog mixes to people, either.... a lot of dominance and aggression problems.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogstarAcademy View Post
And we will most likely continue to disagree on this

I know people who have and breed working line corgis. They do work them on stock. They breed specifically for the working qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I believe Sizzle's Ada comes from working lines.
PW, I could be wrong, but Iz and Fro might be from working lines.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
PW, I could be wrong, but Iz and Fro might be from working lines.
I'd like to hear more.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

You probably won't ever find me recommending "my breed".

Old 08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I never really get around to recommending Pemmies, people usually get scared off when I tell them all the downfalls of my breed. They're gone before I get to the great stuff

Old 08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Just try me..

LOL BP why ever not?

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend whippets to lots of people. They are such great dogs! The JRTs not so much. You really need to know what you are getting yourself into with JRTs (and no it has nothing to do with 'hyper')