Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2008, 10:53 AM
woof!

Thumbs down Weimaraner "extra colors"

Oh man, I'm so sad abou the Weimaraner situation in my country.

I have seen many adds on the newspaper of BLACK, BROWN, BLONDE puppies

Also I have seen a picture of a "grey and TAN" dog in the newspaper that looked like a doberman mix.

I hate the people that is ruin the breed, making this "rare colors"

When the estandar only allows diferent shades of grey

Quote:
COLOUR : Silver, roe or mouse grey, as well as shades of these colours. Head and leathers generally slightly paler. Only small white markings on chest and toes permitted. Sometimes a more or less defined trace occurs along the back. Dog with definite reddish-yellow marking ( Brand ) may only be given the classification good . Brown marking is a serious fault.
Quote:
ELIMINATING FAULTS :

***8226; White markings other than on chest and feet.
***8226; Colour other than gray. Widespread brown marking.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Sad but its like this with many breeds. The other day I read in the classifieds "Rare Albino Doberman $500" Man I feel bad for the person who pays $500, but I really hope the poor dog finds a good home.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH<3dogs View Post
Sad but its like this with many breeds. The other day I read in the classifieds "Rare Albino Doberman $500" Man I feel bad for the person who pays $500, but I really hope the poor dog finds a good home.
Yea, is so sad, that's the problem with popular breeds.

I don't think I will see an add of a "rare blue clumber spaniel" unless it becomes popular (I hope not)

As for the Weimaraner "rare" colors,.. black, brown and yellow ("blonde")
it sound like they are lab + wei mixes.

And the grey and tan, they must be dobe + wei mixes or just a blue dobe without the ear crop, since with the ears intanct they look like hounds.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Rare Albino Doberman $500
I used to know a cream doberman. Certainly nothing to breed for, but a very cool looking dog. I actually kind of liked it!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Rediculous..
In the newspaper, there were
RARE WHITE BOXERS $1000
I have no problem with white Boxers, but they are certainly NOT rare. Bad breeders, thats what they are; saying they're rare when there are white Boxers in litters ALL of the time. The first Boxer WAS a white Boxer..

Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Show Dog

No, actually the gray w/ tan markings is not necessarily a Dobe mix. I have a client who owner handles her Weim bitch. This bitch is a Westminster winning bitch and is well bred. After her WM win she was bred to another well bred Weim that resulted in 7 gorgeous puppies, two of which had faint tan markings. Apparently this is a recessive gene in this breed and it shows up from time to time. It is considered a fault and the puppies exhibiting this coat type are usually petted out. At least this is how it was explained to me.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Squishy22

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't the weimeraner in the make-up of the doberman? I remember reading somewhere that weim blood was used in creating the dobie.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I love my Weimaheiny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmaskrott View Post
No, actually the gray w/ tan markings is not necessarily a Dobe mix. I have a client who owner handles her Weim bitch. This bitch is a Westminster winning bitch and is well bred. After her WM win she was bred to another well bred Weim that resulted in 7 gorgeous puppies, two of which had faint tan markings. Apparently this is a recessive gene in this breed and it shows up from time to time. It is considered a fault and the puppies exhibiting this coat type are usually petted out. At least this is how it was explained to me.
(sorry I know this thread is kind of old, but I just found it. But . . . )

You are correct. This is commonly known as "mark of the hound". It is a disqualifying fault, however not an indication of the dog (necessarily) being a mix.

Blues are another coat variation that is purebred, though not recognized.

Other colours that sometimes crop up (though also very serious faults) are "pearl" Weimaraners (yes, still in purebred litters)

and Weims marked like German Shorthaired Pointers, believe it or not.

These are all commonly viewed as naturally occurring genetic anomalies within the breed, and are recessive traits. Although still beautiful, they are HUGE HUGE HUGE faults, and should never be intentionally produced, if for no other reason than one would almost certainly have to inbreed to an irresponsible degree to produce any of them (except blues). Blues at one time were accepted, and there is much controversy in the Weim world surrounding having the AKC once again accept them as an allowable colour within the breed. Same with longhairs. Longhaired Weimaraners do exist, and are able to be shown anywhere outside North America.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
- Author Unknown
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

VERY Cool!!!! I had no idea and had I met a Wiem marked like a GSP I likely would not have belived it was even a Weim!!! I know they are faults but each of them is gorgeous!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Big Dog

Default "rare" colors

I've had this discussion before on a BT forum. There is this cute cute cute underbite red BT on there that is actually getting a lot of national attention in ads. I see her and I want one just like her! What a little fruit face!

The more folks see these not standard colors of any breed, the more they want them. This in turn makes more the BYB and PM producng them and selling them fas rare for more money that a show quality pup from a reputable breeder.

Culling for colors should be part of the reputable breeders ethics. Selling an off color on a spayed or nuetered pet contract is being short sighted and frankly probably after the money this pup will bring IMO. It's not breeding to standard NOR breeding to improve the breed. Thats the reason reputable breeders give all the time for breeding...oh and love of their breed. How does non standard colors come into that?

I expect irresponsible non culling for color from BYB and PM..I dont expect that from a reputable breeder.

One of the reasons I would never breed is bacause I would have to cull pups just for being the out of standard color. I know that is not the popular thing to do....but culling IS the responsible thing to do.

You have to think way beyond the litter of pups you are gazing at in your whelping box. You have to think, if I keep this off color pup and sell it on a pet neuter/spay contract...I wont have to euth it. I'll recoup some of my money spent on producing this litter.

Yeah..but Joe Q Public is gonna see that pet and say "I never knew they came in that color, I want one like that too!" The search will be on for his 'very own off colored pup.....who's gonna upply that for him? PM and BYBs...I hope not a reputable breeder who is purposefully breeding out of the standard....kinda an oxymoron. How about the parents of those pups? Living the good life? No.

It's all about supply and demand....we have to reach the puppy buyers and educate, educate, educate.