Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

I wish I had worded it better !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

The story shows the unparalleled loyalty and sheer devotion dogs have for their families and those they love.

I won't comment on the suicide because I have some rather strong feelings on the subject and do not want to hurt feelings or say something that may be taken the wrong way.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
And with cases like these, someone else is almost always seen as being "more important" than the one who was really suffering. And I do wonder how much support this man had in dealing with depression.
My first thoughts as well . . . I think it deserves to be repeated. But that's all I've got to say on the topic of his depression - poor man.

As for the dog? What an amazing bond they must have had for him to do that.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

All I can think is . . . its too bad he didn't know just how much that dog loved him before he did it.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I totally agree, good post!

I'd also like to make an observation - not necessarily about this particular situation, but in general... why is selfishness always seen as bad? It's YOUR life, and IMO you are not on this earth to suffer while you keep everyone else happy. Sometimes you just have to do things for *you*. I wonder if more people were "allowed" by society to think about their own welfare *first* a bit more, if we as a population would be happier.

And with cases like these, someone else is almost always seen as being "more important" than the one who was really suffering. And I do wonder how much support this man had in dealing with depression. I know I suffered for years with horrible depression in high school and my parents shrugged it off, said it was only a phase... if they had only stepped in and *helped*, I think I'd be a happier and more confident person today. But I bet if you ask them... they would say they did everything they could to help. Bull.

Just an observation, you can take it or leave it.
Good observations, Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
All I can think is . . . its too bad he didn't know just how much that dog loved him before he did it.
Very true . . . I know there have been times when the only thing holding me back was my dogs. Everyone else was part of the problem.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
I wasn't passing judgment on the person or situation. I just said that I think suicide is often a selfish act, and explained my viewpoint with a series of "what ifs". I have no clue what actually happened. *shrug*
They don't UNDERSTAND that they can get help.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Felurian

Sometimes, I think, for some people, the pain is just too great and circumstances are such that they are consumed with pain and sorrow and aloneness and it is more than they can bear anymore.

If our dogs looked at us with eyes that full of pain, would we force them to go on?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Suicide isn't a spur of the moment action.
Sometimes it is. Manic Depressives often commit suicide on the spur of the moment while in a manic phase. Unfortunately, I know about this topic all too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayota View Post
I don't think it was suicide. Suicide is NOT a random decision. I have a friend who is suicidal... and I know he's put the gun down at least twice after giving it thought. NOT an easy decision AT ALL. There would be signs... not necessarily a note, but things like giving away prized possessions, maybe just signs of depression. SOMETHING.
The mind works in mysterious ways. And there are not always signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post

As for the rest of the conversation, I'll just leave it at "until you've been in that situation, don't be so quick to judge."
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayota View Post
They don't UNDERSTAND that they can get help.
Often times, they don't want help. That feeling of self worthlessness is often so great that they don't feel as if they're not worthy of help. They feel like a drain on everyone around them and truly believe the world would be better off without them in it. Saying to themselves that they warrant helping would be recognizing that they matter enough to stick around.

Anyways, it's not a black and white issue, the subject of suicide.

Good dog. Poor dog.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

My mother attempted sucide in front of me when I was 12, and told me that if I loved her, I wouldn't call for help.

For me, personally, I won't ever view it as an unselfish act.

Yes, I feel pity, but I've been on the other side, and the resentment has never gone away.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megansmom View Post
My mother attempted sucide in front of me when I was 12, and told me that if I loved her, I wouldn't call for help.

For me, personally, I won't ever view it as an unselfish act.

Yes, I feel pity, but I've been on the other side, and the resentment has never gone away.

Ah crap, I don't even know what to say..........other that sucks and I am sorry that it happened.