Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 PM
txhuskies

Default Selling a puppy at 3 weeks?

I was browsing the newspaper a little while ago and came across a litter of husky puppies some people were selling that were only 3 weeks old! I assumed maybe they were just asking deposits or something, but I decided to be nosey and call them and ask. Some guy answered and I asked how old the puppies were and he said, "3 weeks, but were not letting them go until they are 4 weeks old, though we already sold some to people." I couldn't believe this. How irresponsible (excuse my spelling). Pft, people these days.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.
For me, they are the role model for being alive.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Couch Pototoe City

I would call your local HS. Here you may not sell a puppy until it is 8 weeks old...
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
txhuskies

Yeah, Im actually going to do that. I dont know if there's a law on it or anything over here, but its worth the try. Those poor babies being taken away from their mom so early.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

Horrible !!!!! Yes , they should be reported !!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
I would call your local HS. Here you may not sell a puppy until it is 8 weeks old...
Uhh, in VA or just in your town?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcandice View Post
Some guy answered and I asked how old the puppies were and he said, "3 weeks, but were not letting them go until they are 4 weeks old, though we already sold some to people."
Are you sure he didn't say they were letting them go *in* 4 weeks? Otherwise, I agree with the poster who said to contact the humane society.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 AM
txhuskies

No, he definetly said when they are 4 weeks. He already let a few of them go already. I believe he said he only has 3 left. Im going to contact my HS tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Uhh, in VA or just in your town?
In our county and I remember hearing on the news other counties must have it too. The state law is 7 weeks.
"
3.1-796.70. Sale, etc., of unweaned or certain immature animals prohibited, vaccinations required for dogs and cats; penalty

A. No person shall sell, raffle, give away, or offer for sale as pets or novelties, or offer or give as a prize, premium, or advertising device any living chicks, ducklings, or other fowl under two months old in quantities of less than six or any unweaned mammalian companion animal or any dog under the age of seven weeks without its dam, or any cat under the age of seven weeks without its queen. Dealers may offer immature fowl, unweaned mammalian companion animals, dogs or cats under the age of seven weeks for sale as pets or novelties with the requirement that prospective owners take possession of the animals only after fowl have reached two months of age, mammalian companion animals have been weaned, and dogs and cats are at least seven weeks of age. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the sale, gift, or transfer of an unweaned animal (i) as food for other animals, (ii) with the lactating dam or queen or a lactating surrogate dam or queen that has accepted the animal, (iii) due to a concern for the health or safety of the unweaned animal, or (iv) to animal control, an animal shelter, or a veterinarian.

B. Dealers shall provide all dogs and cats with current vaccinations against contagious and infectious diseases, as recommended in writing and considered appropriate for the animal's age and breed by a licensed veterinarian, or pursuant to written recommendations provided by the manufacturer of such vaccines at least five days before any new owner takes possession of the animal. For dogs, the vaccinations required by this subsection shall include at a minimum canine distemper, adenovirus type II parainfluenza, and parvovirus. For cats, the vaccinations required by this subsection shall include at a minimum rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia. Dealers shall provide the new owner with the dog's or cat's immunization history.

C. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 3 misdemeanor."
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...3_1_796_796_70
The law seems a little confusing ( or I need more coffee this morning.) as far as a " gift"- however the HS will know how it is handled where the OP is. ( their state or county laws).
Old 07-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Water Junkie

7 weeks isn't 8 weeks, Borzo

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
7 weeks isn't 8 weeks, Borzo
You're right, 7 weeks isn't 8 weeks. What's your point?

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"