Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Active Pup

Default Looking for a bit of advice..

Hi there,

I got a Daschund puppy a few days ago, he's almost 8 weeks. I was wondering if it's okay to let him pee in his crate overnight, there's a sliding sheet of plastic under the crate with newspaper on it so he's not laying in it or anything. He hasn't pooped in it yet. We've been getting him to pee on the newspaper and now he pretty much knows to go on the paper to go pee. Should we just try to get him to pee and poo outside all the time? I don't know if he's too young to bring outside to do that yet, something about his immune system? . . .
He cried the first night at around 7am, and this morning at 6am. We ignore him until he stops, and then take him out of his crate onto newspaper to pee. Is that alright? I don't want to be overprotective, but I don't want him learning bad habits.

He's feeling more and more comfortable with us, and is sitting when we say sit. Any advice?

Thanks so much guys,

Catherine, McGregor's Mom
Old 06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Having paper available for accidents is fine ...but I wouldn't take him to paper to go . Start going outside from the beginning . Will pay off in the end .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Puppy Dog

I got my puppy at 11 weeks, and started housetraining him right away. If I were you, I most definitely would not encourage your pup to go potty inside his crate, as this will encourage bad habits. One of the purposes of the crate is to teach your puppy that he can hold it when he has to go potty, and can't just go when/where he pleases.

I've struggled with crate training/housebreaking issues too, and there's a lot of good advice to be had out there. I'm not sure if a puppy can be too young to housetrain, as I've never really thought about it before. I'd say try to get your pup to go outside as often as you can, and put the papers inside the house in case of an accident - at least that way he'll go on the papers and not on your flooring.

The crate should just be big enough for him to stand up, turn, and lie down, thus discouraging him from going potty in the crate - since dogs don't like to potty where they sleep. In my case, I bought a crate big enough to house my pup at his adult size, and have a divider in it to make it small enough for his size now.

Best of luck with housetraining. My pup, Max, is 16 weeks old now, and we're still training him to go outside. Don't get too discouraged, as it can take some time.

-Tim
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Active Pup

Thanks a lot for your advice guys...I'm pretty sure he needs one more shot before being exposed to other animals...Is it still okay for me to bring him outside to potty?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Puppy Dog

I didn't even think about shots. If you can manage to get him outside when/where there are no other dogs around, try that. My pup has a few more shots to go, and I just take him outside where no other dogs go. It can be tricky at times, as we live in an apartment complex with lots of dogs, but it's worked so far.

-Tim
Old 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

If you have a yard, it should be fine.

I'm not sure whether or not you should bring him to a public place where other dogs go, though...

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

I would not encourage him to go potty in the house, he should be fine to go outside just keep him away from other dog's waste. Crates are usually places where a dog should not go potty, in fact they should want to hold it in the crate because that is where they sleep. So take him outside every 1-2 hours and praise the heck out of him for going outside. When you are inside he should be under your constant watch so you can prevent accidents from happening or catch them and bring him straight outside to finish up.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Active Pup

The problem is there's dogs in the two apartments above us. Their business drips down into our yard...So I'm worried he'll get sick that way. The park behind our place is used by a lot of people walking their dogs and I know there'd be lots of their business around.. I'm not sure what to do, let him go in the part of the yard where there isn't dogs' business, or make him go on newspaper until he has his last shot?

Thanks so much you guys, I really really really appreciate all your help. I am new at this..
Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Has he had his first vaccinations yet? I personally would keep letting him go on the paper. I lost a puppy who was fully vaccinated to PARVO! Its really bad in my area..and I wouldn't let that puppy touch the ground outside until he has atleast 4 vaccinations!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I've always taken them outside to potty with no problems in regards to them getting sick, and there are other animals - dogs and wildlife - in the yard. If he's healthy and up to date on shots, it shouldn't be a problem. I've also brought them to the boarding kennel after their second set of shots with no problems, and with the vet's approval.

I wouldn't teach him to go on papers, unless that is what you want him to do when he's older as well. If he can't hold it sufficiently overnight, block off an area - kitchen or bathroom - with gates or closed doors or an expen and leave his crate open with some paper on the floor. That way he doesn't potty in his crate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
Has he had his first vaccinations yet? I personally would keep letting him go on the paper. I lost a puppy who was fully vaccinated to PARVO! Its really bad in my area..and I wouldn't let that puppy touch the ground outside until he has atleast 4 vaccinations!
Unfortunately the parvo vaccine is ineffective in some dogs. Most likely because it gets administered on the wrong schedule, but there could also be something in the dog's immune system. A dog who doesn't develop immunity to parvo after being fully vaccinated is a separate issue from dogs for whom the vaccines work as intended, and in that situation having all the shots done may still be ineffective.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team