Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Kayla,
I like the idea of turning W-5 on to the them for an undercover.
I can see the headlines now, Dog Abuse Masked As Training to Promote Reality T.V.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
Well at least he know right off the bat what his training philosophy is- "treats are a negotiation"

So I guess he's running a dictatorship

He's certainly not as bad IMO as the other Idiot on tv and I will at least give him credit for using the term leadership vs dominance, but I guess those are just coin words at the end of the day, either way I think if you view treats as bribes then your not using them efficiently.

UGH ok this qoute killed me," the down fall to treats are it teaches your dog to counter surf"

I kind of wish I'd rather have not watched this to be honest I think I will have to write an angry letter to BT, anyone care to join me? Doc you should go on the show, instead and spread the good word.
Oh, please do write a letter. We're already talking

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I kind of wish I'd rather have not watched this to be honest
That's why I only watched about one minute. I started to get mad and realized this guy isn't worth me getting all worked up about. Best we can do is come up with real, serious responses to all the bogus training idologies he has, so that we're able to intelligently persuade the dog owner, who believes in this guy, that his methods are not the most effective.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Kayla,
I like the idea of turning W-5 on to the them for an undercover.
I can see the headlines now, Dog Abuse Masked As Training to Promote Reality T.V.
I'm all for it, I think as informed dog owners who are knowledgable of better, kinder ways to train dogs we owe it to every other dog out there who isnt owned by someone who knows to get jerks like him off the air.

When I get I chance Ill write letters to both BT, and the station which hosts his show- how about it Doc, would you consider going on breakfast televsion to get our side across?

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM

This creep is still in my city, though he's moving to BC. The worst of it is that he's "certified" a bunch of sheep to spread his nonsense. They call themselves CET's (certified, educated, trainers) and though he carries absolutely no creds. himself, they're convinced that they are now certified.
These morons are taking on aggression cases, punishing dogs for everything from jumping up (hitting them in the head) to growling (pin to the ground). While I don't like watching it either, I can't escape his BS. In every single class his name is brought up and I have to again explain at length that treats are NOT bribes and why I and every other current trainer uses some sort of reinforcement. It's so frustrating..

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
I'm all for it, I think as informed dog owners who are knowledgable of better, kinder ways to train dogs we owe it to every other dog out there who isnt owned by someone who knows to get jerks like him off the air.

When I get I chance Ill write letters to both BT, and the station which hosts his show- how about it Doc, would you consider going on breakfast televsion to get our side across?
I sent you a PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
This creep is still in my city, though he's moving to BC. The worst of it is that he's "certified" a bunch of sheep to spread his nonsense. They call themselves CET's (certified, educated, trainers)
Now that is truley scary-the worst part about having an unregulated industry alas, hopefully with recent efforts by some of the more enlighted great trainers, we can change this is years to come.

Hugs for having to deal with such a jerk right in your own city. I recall once he was having a workshop here, so out of curisosity I signed onto his site just to check it out.

pretty much it was asking you to bring your "problem dogs" and no treats and learn how to "teach" your dog without bribing.

I actually started laughing out loud at one point during that video though. He goes to give the example of why positive reinforcement is so "ridiculous" and goes think about it, do we go to our kids every time there shoe right " oh heres a dollar" , heaven forbid we reward a job well done, maybe his executive producers should axe his pay check and tell him, oh well no its just negotiation.

He also seems confused between teaching new behaviours and interuptting bad behaviours before to become set in.

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
This creep is still in my city, though he's moving to BC.
Oh no, don't send him here. I watched his show once and couldn't stand him. One of the guys at our daily dog get together watches him and thinks he's wonderful. He tells me the dramatic results in just one episode and likes to remind me about the treats being a bad thing and should be discouraged, and has also mentioned the child with food danger.

I hope he doesn't get funding from the National Film Board for this garbage.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 AM
BusterLove

Okay... for a start Jackson looked SO uncomfortable and confused in that situation, he was basically just dragged around the studio

How has he missed such a big thing about puppies, they chew because they're puppies and they're exploring. Same as babies touch things, they're exploring.

Well i guess I've ruined Buster, he's on my bed right now. Maybe I should go shove him off.

I'll keep using treats, I have no expectation that Buster will learn new things just because I want him to, what is even the point in that. Its a partnership to a certain extent, I'll be his leader but I'll be his partner aswell.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
just call me Nilly

EEEW is all I have to say about Brad Pattison.

The first time I saw his so I was so enraged I was fuming for days, I wanted to write a letter to the producers, the network, everyone!

I feel so sorry for you having to pick up his pieces Dr2. He's such an asswipe.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010