Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 AM
orange iguanas.

Although I don't like it too much, my dad gives the dogs Beggin Strips and Snausages and other horrible things.

The man doesn't like dogs, but God forbid he can't give them their treats.

If it were up to me, they'd probably just be getting some very simple biscuits once in a blue moon.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsammy View Post
I give Sammy EVO dog treats and the occasional marrow bone for teeth cleaning. She loves them both!
The sound of bone marrow is painful...makes me think about doctors taking a sample of bone marrows.

But aren't you afraid your dog will choke on bones? I've been told by vets and pet store employees to stick with normal treats since it won't break off into pieces, and one vet even mentioned Bright Bites to me (another reason I want to try it) because the star shape makes it easy to break apart and chew.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

I cut up Natural Balance rolls into tiny squares for treats/training. Heeling treats are Dingo soft treats.

As for normal treats, my husband is obsessed with the cheapo beefy Milkbones for the girls when they go in their crates LOL.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Jv17 is a spammer. Check the links in the sig. We have a crazy amount of spammers who post nearly-intelligible things on here in an attempt to look like real members and get hits to their website.
Ah ok, thanks. I have signatures turned off so I didn't see that.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Active Pup

I thing dogs need to bite things instead people brush theyre teeths thats te point dogs dont need teeth brushing, they need to get theyre teeth strong for theyre own good becouse if you dont its worst for them people need to be countience abut the dogs.

kitty

Last edited by Buddy'sParents; 08-18-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Puppy Dog

Cheese. I have purchased so many different kinds of treats for my pup and he just looks at them like "um, what is that?" LOL. Cheese is the ONLY treat that gets him excited... and not the reduced fat kind (the kind I eat, LOL). He only likes the real deal.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 AM
and Fozzie B!

I got about 500 free Bright Bites forced upon me at a dog fair this weekend!

The ingredients are frightening, but I've let the boys try a couple. They weren't incredibly interested in them, but they chewed them up. I didn't notice ANY teeth cleaning or ANY breath freshening qualities. They don't even seem as beneficial as Greenies, but meh, that's just my experience.

I prefer to buy two big, meaty knuckle bones once a month and give them one each. Supervise for 10-15 minutes, and voila! Clean, sparkly teeth. It's a lot more cost effective and HEALTHY, in comparison. Dogs will not choke on bones if you feed them RAW bones, that are the appropriate size for your dog, and you superivse them. Plenty of dogs have choked on rawhides, cookies, kibble, greenies, and other store-bought chews.

As for treats... they have a bunch of different treats. There are training treats, which are really smelly and high value, like dried chicken hearts, hotdogs or liver. I also bake them cookies, and occasionally buy Old Mother Hubbard or Mother Nature cookies, just as daily rewards and for their bedtime snack. They occasionally get cheese, or small pieces of apples or carrots as treats. But I think their favorite treats will always and forever be raw meaty bones. : )

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I got about 500 free Bright Bites forced upon me at a dog fair this weekend!

The ingredients are frightening, but I've let the boys try a couple. They weren't incredibly interested in them, but they chewed them up. I didn't notice ANY teeth cleaning or ANY breath freshening qualities. They don't even seem as beneficial as Greenies, but meh, that's just my experience.

I prefer to buy two big, meaty knuckle bones once a month and give them one each. Supervise for 10-15 minutes, and voila! Clean, sparkly teeth. It's a lot more cost effective and HEALTHY, in comparison. Dogs will not choke on bones if you feed them RAW bones, that are the appropriate size for your dog, and you superivse them. Plenty of dogs have choked on rawhides, cookies, kibble, greenies, and other store-bought chews.

As for treats... they have a bunch of different treats. There are training treats, which are really smelly and high value, like dried chicken hearts, hotdogs or liver. I also bake them cookies, and occasionally buy Old Mother Hubbard or Mother Nature cookies, just as daily rewards and for their bedtime snack. They occasionally get cheese, or small pieces of apples or carrots as treats. But I think their favorite treats will always and forever be raw meaty bones. : )
yeah the ingredients in Bright Bites don't SEEM to be good, but from what I've been told by a vet, it's very effective at cleaning and preventing gingivitis.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

For most of Molly, Elly & Oliver's training I use a tennis ball or a rop kong [that is, until Bales hid it]. For Bailey & Georgia, I use treats. Normally I feed small bits of people food for obedience training [unless the dog is very toy motivated]. Tiny chunks of cheese or baked hot dogs. We don't usually have dog treats around, but if we do it's Beggin Strips [my mom buys them]. We've definetly stocked up on liver treats before, and a garbage bag full of free samples from one dog show, lol.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow945 View Post
yeah the ingredients in Bright Bites don't SEEM to be good, but from what I've been told by a vet, it's very effective at cleaning and preventing gingivitis.
As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING is better than raw meaty bones. Ingredients aside; watching my dogs eat them, I fail to see how these hard, plastic-like Bright Bites can even begin to clean the many crevices of a dog's teeth, particularly the front teeth and the canines. A raw meaty bone (especially knuckle bones) encourages the dog to use both their front and back teeth to nibble and tear off meat, as well as scrape the teeth clean on the tendons, cartilege and bone.

For proof, here's my 7 year-old dog's teeth:

Honestly, I would not believe everything the standard Vet says... after all, they make loads of money with those yearly teeth-cleanings.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie