Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Designed for Love

Default Anyone tried this "Peticure" for nails?

Saw this advertised on tv and wondered if anyone has it, tried it or knows anything good or bad about it? Sure seems better/easier/safer than trying to cut my dogs nails. Anyone see the commercial for this?

http://www.peticure.com/

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

If you google, you'll find some reviews. Most of the reviews say to not even bother with it.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

I know someone who got one. She said if your dog has "talons" it's no good, but if you have a professional manicure done, it's good for maintaining. I can't see it working on Daisy or Gunnar, they have nails that are like railroad spikes.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Gack...I just about came out of my skin watching their little demo video clips of dogs who were sensitive to clipping.

I'd find the hidden grinder harder to guage as far as safety goes compared to the regular dremel. Being able to see the end of the nail is the best way to determine where the quick is as you dremel, I wouldn't think that that gizmo is very safe.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
<----Thanks Allie

do dogs like the dremel better than clipping? I've been thinking about buying one...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Big Dog

Many dogs tolerate the dremel more then the clipper. It is all a matter of training. I stopped using clippers years ago.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
<----Thanks Allie

My dog is ok with the clipper as long as I have someone else distract her by petting her. So, I was thinking about getting the dremel because it's filling...which I figured would be less... stressful? But, does the noise bother them?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
My dog is ok with the clipper as long as I have someone else distract her by petting her. So, I was thinking about getting the dremel because it's filling...which I figured would be less... stressful? But, does the noise bother them?
If your going to buy a dremel, spend good money on one that doesn't make a whole lot of noise. Regis cries at the noise of the dremel, I can't even get it close to him without him shaking like crazy.

On top of that, it wastes 4 batteries like they are nothing. I'd suggest getting some rechargable batteries so at least you won't have to constantly be buying new batteries.

I read some reviews on Peticure and all weren't good. If you already have a dremel, they just send you the cover. So it's not really some great invention from my understanding. A friend just ordered one, so I'll see what she thinks of it when she gets it.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I bought a cordless dremel that runs at a lower speed than my regular one, and MUCH prefer it when it goes to dremelling nails. Mine doesn't use regular batteries, it has a battery that you need to charge up, much like any other cordless power tools. I think it's called the MiniMite or something like that... it's quieter because it spins at a lower speed, so it's more of a low hum.
And also, because I'm a huge klutz - if I knick myself while I'm using it, it does very little damage to me. =P

I know some people use the "stylus" dremel, but I got a really good deal on the MiniMite so I bought that one instead. I'm not sure what speed it runs at compared to the stylus dremel...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM
swimming upstream

I bought a rechargable one at Walmart--maybe 15 dollars--has variable speed. Baxter was very sensitive to using clippers--he even tried to nip me several times. He doesn't love the dremel, but he tolerates it.
Wilson wouldn't let me anywhere near his nails---but with some conditioning to the sound of the dremel (positive reinforcement with treats)--today I was able to use the dremel on his front paws. Tomorrow, we will try the back paws.
Trav tolerates any of it.