Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Miakoda!
Yeesh!
You bite hard! :P

Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3Dana View Post
Did anyone of you hear the NPR All Things Considered story about the cloned bull? Priceless. They cloned him bc he was exceptionally gentle and they all loved him. His clone was mean and gored everyone.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Workin' Dog

Quote:
Ok, smartass. Do your own research then. Or do you know how...................

Second, it states she sold her home. I was being a tad bit sarcastic when I said she was now homeless, but there's a good chance-I would say-that she no longer owns her home.

And your comment about our "vicious blood-thirsty child killing monsters" being service dogs was not just a bit rude, but downright ignorant. I take it you hate all "pit bulls" and think all us owners are drug-dealing gang-banging criminals, eh?

Never mind...........what was I thinking............You can't fight stupid.
Wow! Did you read what I wrote directly or run it through a hate filter first?

I was serious about the environmental influence on animal appearance. I don't know what creates a blaze, but if it pops up in a cloned animal either they did something wrong or the blaze isn't controlled exclusively by genes. I was hoping to learn more, not trying to **** you off.

With regards to the pits as service dogs, come on. I trained dogs for police type work in the past, as did many of my friends at the time. You couldn't give a pit to a police department. They wouldn't touch them, which was a real shame bc they are they single best breed we have in shelters in this county for detection type work. We had to leave them to die, bc you know when you get a pit it won't matter how good it is- you're stuck with it.

I can't imagine that the service dog companies are clamoring for more pits either. Does anyone here know of a single service dog company that takes pits without prejudice? And, if they do, do they start a pit breeding program or do they go to the shelters and select from the many great pits who are there and scheduled to die?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

To answer the question about blazes . . . no, animal markings are not exclusively controled by genes . . . they are effected by womb enviroment and epigenetic factors such as gene activation. This is why cc looks nothing like her calico mother and why the Missy clones have slightly different markings.

The five dogs are probably about as alike as siblings from a highly inbred line . . . which still doesn't explain what anyone would do with five of them, or three for that matter. Even if you wanted a dog strongly similar to a previous dog, that seems like, err . . . too much of a good thing? Boring? Excessive?

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Squishy face

Don't clones tend to have shorter life spans than regular animals?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Don't clones tend to have shorter life spans than regular animals?
Yes, and other health problems, though its not true of all clones. But its a risk.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
Who names their animal "Booger"?
Geez...
you'd be surprised. When I worked at a vet's office we had a "crappy" and "Lucifer" and a lot more that made me laugh... but those two come to mind right now.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Back of the Pack

If you look at the Best Friends Again website they are auctioning off the chance to have your dog cloned... the bids start at $140,000 and only lists two of them as being closed.

Since the one place is located in south korea I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's one of the "winners".

If you look up some of the other pet clonings... people often seem to suggest they have very similar personalities...
I can't help but wonder a few things about this.
1. Since the animal is living with the same family and they would likely treat it exactly the same (why not) would it not just develope some of it's behaviour from the environment it's in.
2. When the new pet does something the old pet even if it's not common... are people who want to believe just going to say oh yes they are so similar they both do this... in which case humans are just seeing what they want to see.

Either way I think it's actually a pretty terrible thing to do... lets honor the memory of our dead pet by trying to make an exact replica of him so I don't have to miss the original.

Nevermind, found this at the bottom
Quote:
She said she lives with five other dogs and three horses.
RNL Bio charges up to $150,000 for dog cloning but will only receive $50,000 from McKinney because she is the first customer and helped with publicity, said company head Ra Jeong-chan
Looks like she's paying $50,000
Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Taxiderpy

Honestly, while I don't think it's the smartest thing to do, there are worse things people can do with their money. I don't feel sorry for these animals, they are probably going to live pampered lives and be treated better than most human children around the world (medical care, nutritious food, etc).

I try to think of clones as an identical twin to the original animal. Just younger. And as we all know, identical twins certainly do not have identical personalities.

And there are APBT service dogs out there. I don't know if they are trained by organizations, or owner trained, but they exist. Walmart was sued about a year ago (I think) because they made a service dog team leave, because the dog was a pit bull. I think the manager said something along the lines of, "How dare you bring that thing in here! There are children!" TIhey settled out of court though, and Walmart ended up giving the dog millions of free toys and treats, and big fat apology.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

I've been thinking about this more . . . Isn't this exactly the same as BYBing because "my dog is [so cute, so sweet, the best dog ever]"? Only instead of breeding dogs in the traditional sense, they're cloning them. They're still producing dogs without health testing and with no conformation history. It's great that her dog was brave and saved her life once, but I question whether that alone is a reason to breed.