Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Active Pup

Default Puppy Play

How much play does a puppy need? (Shih-Tzu, 6 months). I am finding that my puppy will nip at my feet, or pull the laces on my shoes until they are undone while I am walking; or he will take any chance to get towels, take off the bedspread, take things on left on the bed, toilet paper, shoes under the bed, pens, things left on couch or coffee table, take things out of the laundry basket, it seems like a game with him. I have taken to carrying an old towel when I walk around the apartment so he can nip, pull or play with that instead of my feet or shoes. He has lots of chew toys. Is it just that I am not playing with him enough?

Will spraying shoes under the bed with bitter apple discourage him from chewing on them?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Top Dog

Puppies are like toddlers....Never ending energy!! They get themselves into trouble!! And especially little toy breeds...Those puppies are like energizer bunnies!! lol

I have never used bitterapple, but I have heard good things about it from my friend who used it on her foster puppy who was an APBT mix, 5 month old puppy. He chewed on everything! She said it worked! So I would give it a try!!

Also, NEVER leave him unsupervised!! Crate him when you can't watch him (I don't mean keeping your eye on him 24/7, but I mean if you have to leave him alone. Or puppy proof a room such as bathroom or kitchen, and leave him in there with HIS toys. Puppies need to be supervised at all times,and at 6 months he should be getting corrections when it comes to grabbing things of yours that are NOT meant for him to chew on! Like shoe laces, bedspreads,etc. Basic manners should be taught full force at his age!!

Also, how much exercise does he get? How long are his walks? Is he getting a lot of socialization with other dogs and people?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 AM
and Fozzie B!

Puppies do need plenty of play time and interaction, but just as much as that, they need clear boundaries and training.

You initiate play sessions... and end them. If your puppy is attacking shoes or nipping at you, a stern no, stepping away and ignoring him is the best way to settle him down. It's important at this age to teach your puppy to have an off-switch.

There should be clear times to play and times to settle down. If you haven't already, teach him all of his basic commands (sit, down, wait, stay, recall, tricks, etc) and practice them through out the day. Puppies have short attention spans, but training sessions for 10 minutes here and there will help tire him out and will teach him manners, too!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie