Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy Puppy's behavior worries me:(

I have a nearly 3 month old daschund/beagle puppy named Levi who has some issues once he steps outside.

1.) He will begin out walking fine but he does not like to walk on the grass! When he notices we are approaching some grass he begins to resist. He must at all times have his feet planted on pavement, concrete, or rocks. Once I force him on the grass ('cause that's the only way he'll go) He desperately tries to get back on the sidewalk or street. When I don't let him go, he starts to struggle, jumps in the air uncontrollably and screams at the top of his lungs. I never give in to his tantrums and I wait until he calms down to resume walking.

2.) Levi also stops as soon as we come across a curb or stairs which he can easily hop up on. I have to end up dragging him, and once he gets close enough, he tackles the curb and stairs with ease. He also tries to avoid walking up slight hills and inclines for reasons I cannot understand. These behaviors seem to get worse with every walk. Any ideas on what can be causing this behavior?

F.Y.I. I never let him 'walk me' or lead me in any way. I'm always the dominant one. I've been raising dogs all my life and have never seen behavior like this from a puppy, so I have no idea how to fix it! HELP!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

To get him on the grass, you should stop forcing him and make it fun for him. Toss a ball onto the grass - start close to the pavement and gradually toss it further. Or bring a small dish with food and feed him on the grass.

For the curbs and stairs and hills, it could be that he's not able to get up them easily. I would try to avoid stairs with him and minimize curbs - avoid them if you can, and also minimize hills. He might simply be too small and especially if he's built more like a doxie. It might even be painful for him when he does go up them. He should be better able to handle it when he gets bigger.

As for walking him, make it fun!! Bring treats, bring toys, keep the walks short. Stop thinking in terms of dominance.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

Forcing him certainly isn't working for you, especially if he is getting worse.
I would expect he came from somewhere where he was never on grass or seen it with his littermates or dam either. Although some dogs do have very sensitive feet, can you gently handle his feet? What is he like when you trim his nails? and stroke his pads?

Take a meal, sit on some grass (make sure the grass is soft) beside a sidewalk etc, put a piece of the kibble on the edge, let him eat it, DON'T pull or drag him to the grass, have a nice loose leash. If he puts ONE paw on the grass give him several pieces of his kibble, make it nice and fun.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Put yourself in his position. Suppose you had, or maybe you DO have a great fear. Suppose someone much larger and stronger than you FORCED you to confront this great fear each time you are presented with it.

How would you feel? I bet your fear and dread would increase exponentially every time you were forced to get up next to whatever it is you fear. I bet your puppy feels the same way.

Agree whole heartedly with CP and Adojrts.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree...

Pics of the pup?? lol We love pics!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Sprayin' the spiders

You are not alone!!

My mini Dachshund, now three, HATES grass. She doesn't mind our backyard mostly, but we have the roundish landscaping wood pieces and railroad ties for borders and she runs on those instead of going through the grass. If she has a choice, she will potty, sleep, walk, run on concrete. ONLY concrete. It could be because she is only about 6 inches at the shoulder so grass is hard for her to get around in so she avoids it. She doesn't fight about getting in grass on walks but she will make you trip on her to avoid going in the grass (as in dead stop right in front of your feet!) If I toss food, toys, etc in the grass she'll go after them.

On the other hand, this dog will go up stairs willingly, jump off the highest peaks, run up hills...so maybe a lot of encouragement and praise, and a lot of good treats will help your little guy out? It's all about making him have a good time and not stressing out about it.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
RedyreRottweilers

wants pictures!!!

And you know, the puppy may hate the feel of grass on his belly. Even short grass would rub the belly.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Active Pup

Thumbs up Consistancy

Glad to hear I'm not alone! He has no problems playing in bushes and twigs, so I don't see how the grass could be bothersome to his paws or body. I only force him on the grass because if he's not on the grass, he wont go potty, then if I give in and take him home, he will go in the house! It's important to be the dominant one, especially with a puppy so he knows who's boss early on. I'm not joking when I say that if I let this puppy have his way during walks, he would sit on the sidewalk and do absolutely nothing the entire time and would only potty if he couldn't hold it any longer. At least forcing him on the grass will make him potty, but he will continue to struggle anyway. I don't believe what I'm doing is wrong at all. I don't believe in spoiling my dog and letting him have his way. If I let him have his way with the grass then he will always have this problem. Food, treats, and toys, have no effect whatsoever on his behavior.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:09 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Please, let's not talk about trying to be dominant with a 12 weeks infant puppy who is probably less than 10 lbs.

Forcing your puppy in this way will only cause him not to trust you, and to fear you.

If you need to put him on the grass, pick him up and put him on the grass.

And after reading the rest of your post, I won't waste any more time typing.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreeville View Post
Glad to hear I'm not alone! He has no problems playing in bushes and twigs, so I don't see how the grass could be bothersome to his paws or body. .

Well if I go out in the yard in flip flops the grass itches my legs.