Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Found on protectiondogforum.net (in Caucasian's sig)

Quote:
As I use to say, any stranger is possible danger. Dog basically is not able to recognize who has bad intentions about it's owner so better is to make the dog aggressive toward all strangers.

My tip is to let the dog be teased EVERYWHERE. Simple and good advice. Everywhere = bus, train, street, garden, house, in front of hypermarket etc. and alternate men, women, younger and older persons.
Quote:
When young puppy, some people were laughing at him that he won't be good guardian because he seemed to them to be unobservant. But later this puppy changed into an adult dog and then he met one of the people who were laughing at him. He was tied on a leash but without a muzzle. The guy came over to him to fondle him and Gero had biten that guy into his belly and he was in shock, was bleeding and never ever laughed at Gero again.
Quote:
Success 1: There was a guy who was drunk. It was quite a tough guy and he wanted to fight my RTW. He was pressing on me to release Bredy and after some moments I agreed. Bredy (best of all I have ever had even though only weighing 40 kg) managed to win, but after some difficulties. That guy (he was small too) was self-confident, quick and hard. During some moments the fight seemed to be scoreless, but little later Bredy managed to win.
Quote:
I had a RTW whose name was Agar. He looked nicely and much better than Bredy, but he was for no use.

When he was young, he lived with some woman who also had a Rottweiler. She was afraid of having problems with people so she stupidly educated her dogs to let strangers pet them and accept food from them. Agar then became so spoilt that when I left him at home alone and leaved, after I returned I saw pieces of food and my dog eating. As usually, some stranger was there while I was away. Other case was when we were on the garden and one woman with bad intention entered with flesh in her hands and Agar began to eat it and neither barked at her. Other case was when one neighbor was worried and screamed on me and run into our garden and slightly pushed on me and Agar did nothing. Then the neighbor himself noticed that the dog is unobservant and we talked about it.

I beg you for the God's sake let your dog be aggressive toward all strangers and all neighbors!!! Please take a lesson from what I have written here.
To me, this is the WORST example of protection training. 99.999% of people your dog will encounter in his lifetime are going to be good people - yet we should teach our dogs to be aggressive toward all strangers? What kind of stress and anxiety will our dogs be under whenever they see a stranger - walking down the street, even going to the vet????? And for what? So that you can proove your dog will "beat" a drunk guy? Big F***ing Deal! YOU can beat a drunk guy!! Protection is first and formost YOUR JOB as dog owner. You are smarter than your dog and can figure out much better when you're in a dangerous situation and how to get out of that situation. If you want your dog to "attack" on cue, and can put that on such good stimulus control so that he ONLY does it when you cue, and otherwise is perfectly calm and relaxed around strangers, THAT's good protection.

JMO, though, for what it's worth.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Twin 2.0

Man, even owing to the possibility that English might not be your first language, it seems that COMMON SENSE isn't a known language to you at all.

Way to help bring on more BSL!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Wow..... kinda speechless after reading those quotes.....
Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Unless you are a drug lord, or have a habit of being such an idiot/@$$hole that people constantly want to inflict seriously injury on you...I can't fathom why protection work would be the most important thing your dog can do for you.

Just buy a gun, like every other American, and leave dogs out of it. You're ruining the lives of innocent animals by making them fearful and angry towards everything they encounter in life. Put yourself in their shoes. That would be a miserable existence.

Mod edit

Last edited by Zoom; 07-29-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

What woodwork do these idiots keep coming out of? If your dog is so aggressive that you can't take him anywhere, how can he protect you? I want a protection dog that is social and approachable by strangers. One who doesn't react unless he's told to or he see's me being attacked.

As far as the original question, things like housebreaking and house manners are a given. Training wise, if you have a perfect recall and a perfect sit or down (which means, sit or lay down and don't move until I tell you to!) that can be administered from any distance, then you have a dog that is better than 90% of the dogs out there.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Dog basically is not able to recognize who has bad intentions about it's owner
I'm going to argue this point. The ONLY time Sierra has ever growled at a human being (outside of play) was at a stranger who *may* have posed a threat to me while we were unlocking the store one day, but other than acting a bit strung out on drugs, was not posing a direct threat. She did NOT like that guy. I have never trained her to be protective, and would never consider doing so, but she does seem to have a sense of who is untrustworthy/dangerous.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
RedyreRottweilers

For me the most important training I do with my dogs is early socialization to friendly people and new places, and positive reward based obedience training.

This builds self confidence, friendliness (in friendly situations) and calmness in a dog, all prerequisites for me BEFORE any type of protection training.

JMO as always.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Active Pup

PP is the most important for people who are endangered by other people or who already were endangered and that is why they feel the need of having a good protection dog.

I think that owner's job to protect his dog(s) is only valid if he has weak and companion dogs, not utility ones.

Everything depends on the purpose of your dog, which can be to have a good companion and friend as well.

I agree that the majority of people I will meet with my dog are good people, but now and then we will also meet some bad guys. And how can my dog recognize bad guys among all the good? Better is to let the dog distrust anyone. That is my opinion.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
just call me Nilly

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasian View Post
PP is the most important for people who are endangered by other people or who already were endangered and that is why they feel the need of having a good protection dog.
If someone desires a good protection dog, then by all means, go ahead and train for it. But PP is never the most important thing to train for, even in dogs that are intended for PP, basic obedience and early socialization is necessary.

Quote:
I think that owner's job to protect his dog(s) is only valid if he has weak and companion dogs, not utility ones.
It is always the owner's job to protect his dog. Even police k9 officers take precautions to protect their dog whenever possible.

Quote:
Everything depends on the purpose of your dog, which can be to have a good companion and friend as well.
Regardless of the purpose, all dogs should be trained in basic obedience and socialized.

Quote:
I agree that the majority of people I will meet with my dog are good people, but now and then we will also meet some bad guys. And how can my dog recognize bad guys among all the good? Better is to let the dog distrust anyone. That is my opinion.
It's the owner's job to determine a threat. Many dogs can recognize a perceived threat without being specifically taught. The owner needs to be able to override that when the dog is in error. That is done through obedience training. Socializing allows the dog to accept friendly strangers.

Protection training teaches the dog to act on cue as well as teaching the dog to automatically respond to a threat (good guy/bad guy).

If I meet a friend on the street who is unknown to my dog, I don't want my dog alerting or biting. If I take my dog to the vet or need to board him, I need him to be handled by the staff. If I get sick, I need my dogs to allow someone else to care for them.

A well trained PP dog will alert to a perceived threat, will guard and bite on a command, will stop alerting and stop guarding and stop biting on command, and will allow friendly strangers to approach him.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team