Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Just too add that Georgia growls at any man, but I highly doubt she'd bite.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Trey would. Summer will make the biggest racket you've ever heard when she perceives a threat but then she will lather them with kisses. The others? Ha, no!

Shack, though, was a very protective dog.
I can see a burgalar running down the street screaming with five Papillions yapping after him.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Show Dog

Whether our dogs would or wouldn't, it is not their job. It is my job to protect them. Although I know that if any of them perceived a threat, every one of them would respond appropriately, I do not have my dogs for "protection". I actually get pretty offended when I get phone calls and emails from perspective puppy people who are looking for a dog that will "protect" their families.

Whether you have a dog that is specifically trained in protection work or whether you have a breed that instinctively is protective and territorial, I firmly believe that it is OUR responsibility to make THEIR environment safe, not the other way around. We are their guardians, they are not ours'.

JMO
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmaskrott View Post
Whether our dogs would or wouldn't, it is not their job. It is my job to protect them. Although I know that if any of them perceived a threat, every one of them would respond appropriately, I do not have my dogs for "protection". I actually get pretty offended when I get phone calls and emails from perspective puppy people who are looking for a dog that will "protect" their families.

Whether you have a dog that is specifically trained in protection work or whether you have a breed that instinctively is protective and territorial, I firmly believe that it is OUR responsibility to make THEIR environment safe, not the other way around. We are their guardians, they are not ours'.

JMO

Chochi is mine. I OWN him( well, my family owns him). He is also a part of my family, but he is a great guard dog also. I am not his guardian, I am his owner according to the law, and I prefer it that way.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

JMO
IMO everything you say is right,i look after my dogs i cater for them and i integrate them into my family life.

None of my dogs where bought into my life to defend me as im pretty capable of that myself.

In saying this it is a joke to believe that dogs that are loved and part of my life in a big way wouldnt automatically defend me,not as a master or owner but as "ME" their best friend,i know i'd die for my best friend i believe my dogs have the same idealisation there.
I'd rather be at Disney

Belle? LOL she would protect her couch I think. If anyone came to rob us they woudln't make it out with the couch that is for sure lol.

Beezer... I have no doubt that he would. Since we brought hannah home he has been protective. I don't mean that he won't let strangers near her or that he gets aggressive around her or anything like that... definitely NOT. but when Brian is at work... beezer will ALWAYS sit between hannah and the nearest doorway. when I take her into her room to change her bum he follows and lays in front of the door. When I was nursing he was especially vigilant... it was like he knew that I would not be able to just jump up and take on an intruder with an infant in my arms.

he's also our early warning signal lol. anytime someone comes CLOSE to being in our yard he barks a warning... thankfully he has gotten used to the fact that kids walk by on their way home from school and he doesn't alert to that anymore lol. But I ALWAYS know when there is a squirrel in our yard lol.

he's not aggressive at all and he has no issue with us inviting people into the house... he's a big love bug. but I don't doubt for a second that he knows when people are good and allowed in the house by us and when bad people are uninvited.

he barks at the mailman too when he makes a delivery to the door lol and the mailman always leaves a biscuit on top of the package he leaves behind... I always tell beezer he should be ashamed of himself for barking at the mailman when he leaves him treats lol.

But I think Beezer would be more apt to protect hannah than to protect Brian or myself.

I remember one time when Hannah was only about a month old. I was nursing her and he was laying at my feet and Brian came at me to high five me (we were watching a hockey game lol) and that really seemed to upset Beezer lol. he did not like that Brian came at us so fast with his hand in the air so he jumped up and BARK BARK BARK. He's not so sensitive about that now lol this was when we FIRST brought hannah home. but he still sits between her and the door.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Who woulda thought <3

Chloe, yes she would...

she has already shown that she would...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Sophie does for us all the time. She is friendly but constantly on the look out and alert. She would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat to protect any of us.

But Bender is such a chicken! lol He hides behind me to protect him when he's scared. He won't go unless I go first than he will follow. But he is still a young pup so he will grow and than we will see with him. Sophie will teach him.

When Sophie gets going because she sees a person out the window, Bender runs and hides like saying "Oh crap what does she see, is it coming this way".
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Felurian

Bimmer and Kharma have already proven themselves.

Like PapaBully remarked, it's not their JOB, it's what we do for each other.

Little Tallulah . . . She will do whatever Bimmer and Kharma do, lol . . . it's fun to watch her watch them and take her cues from them. Given her breed, though, I don't encourage her in some things.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:

JMO
While I agree with you, I do not feel that anyone would WANT their dogs to be in harms way. I would protect my dogs and I know (for sure) that two of the three of them would protect me. It does not mean that I would push them out in front of me and let them take a bullet first, that is absurd and offensive. It does not mean that I would ever WANT them to be in the position where they felt they needed to protect me. It does not mean that I would allow them to have a few gnawings on someone before I were to call 911.

It does mean, however, that my dogs would protect me if the need arose. It is really as simple as that. We have a guardian breed and I would never attempt to train her natural, instinctive traits out of her. We have another dog that I never would have thought would protect me, but he did. We strive to make their lives safe and their surrounding environments safe, but sometimes things happen and sometimes people and animals feel they need to protect.