Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Active Pup

Default HELP!! Puppy ate his own poop!

Our 4 mth old Shih Tzu normally sleeps in the bedroom with us. We bring him out for his last bathroom break around 11pm and he's never soiled it until last night. We woke up to find him barfng some brown liquid that smelled absolutely putrid! My husband figured out he pooped and then ate it. Why Why Why? What would possess him to do this? Is it normal? What can we do so he doesn't do this again?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

Because it smells good for them. Lots of dogs do it, I was lucky mine didn't, but they loved cat poop.

There are some products in petstores that you can put in their food so that the poops stink to them. I'm not sure how reliable nor healthy they are though.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

I know of lots of dogs that do this, I know it's gross. I have heard that it could be the food you are feeding. Apparently, some foods are not totally digested, so to the dog - it smells like dog food because technically it still is. But, I would ask your vet, (I'm sure lots of people on this forum will know as well) as I said this is what I've heard - I'm not sure if it is true. If it is true, simple enough solution to change foods! Good luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Felurian

This will help: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/stool_eating.htm

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian