Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM
just call me Nilly

Honestly? I used to say scent hounds were completely off my list, and now I have a hound mix.

There are some dogs I would avoid as they don't suit my lifestyle (super active, high drive dogs), and those I tend not to prefer as they're just so common (labs, goldens etc.) but I've also learned NEVER say never

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Blonde Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Generally I wouldn't come home with a conformation Border Collie. Not my cup of tea.
Oh definitely. How could I forget that one?

I'd love to get a Border Collie one day, when suitable living arrangements allow me to do so. I'm going working lines all the way.

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Big Dog

In my list of least wanted breeds are all dogs heavily dependent on veterinary care and too sensitive to climate and weatehr conditionas: English Bulldog, Chinese Pug, all hairless breeds and those groomers delights like the Afghan Hound (show dogs) and other breeds, which are hard on scissors. My favorite breeds are so-called primitive aboriginal breeds; the Saluki and Laikas are among them.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Big Dog

The older I get the smaller my dogs get. Started off with a Great Dane..then Aussy...then BT. Now I have 3 that are under 10# and one that is 18#. I see a difference just in those few pounds.

So anyone thats under 10#. Is not DA, DR or yippy.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Active Pup

Angry

not a breed.

wolfdogs.

I have three of them in my yard as a favor to a recently deceased family friend. After this, no more. Ever.

hopefully I won't have them long and can find them a good place to be. The Pit Girls hate them and I trust my dogs.

Wolfdogs are trouble.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

I wouldn't want a shiba inu. I used to love them, but after having had a few come in through boarding that put a bad taste in my mouth, I can't say I'd ever want the breed anymore. One acts the way a shiba should - catlike, and very independent thinker, but it's just not my type of dog. The other is just a spaz with no personal hygiene. So even a well behaved, typical shiba wouldn't be the dog for me.

shelties, and other really barky dogs

Jrts. Way too much terrierness.

Nothing so tiny it's breakable:
chis and little breeds (under 12-15 or so lbs)

Wouldn't want a dog with a wolfy personality:
primitive breeds

Wouldn't want a dog with a coat that needs extreme maintenance - longish coats are fine... but no cords (komondor, etc) or full length Lhasa type coats.

I wouldn't want a dog that is notoriously hard to housebreak:
IGs

No dogs that aren't going to accept a friendly stranger in the home without protest when introduced.
Fila, Waayyy too much dog.
Also leaning against other naturally dominant home guardian breeds.

Wow, what a long list. Of that list, the only breed that I dont want just because it doesn't appeal to me at all is the shiba. Others are just because of breed characteristics, but if for some reason I found a dog without that breed characteristic, I may reconsider. For example, a quieter dog in one of the notoriously yappy breeds. Or a less territorial home guardian.

-GoingNowhere
Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

Anything that requires more than basic maintenance on a coat or is a big shedder... so no poodles, long-haired breeds, corded breeds, most shepherds and retrievers. Probably not a hound just because of the bark, though they are beautiful dogs. None of the herders, they're too high energy for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Pit bulls, akitas, and any breed with a high instance of dog aggression. Dog aggression is something I hope I never have to deal with.

JRTs, greyhounds, whippets, huskies, daschunds, and any breed with a high instance of prey drive (with regards to small animals.)

Italian greyhounds and anything else notoriously hard to housebreak. At one point I was considering them because they're the one sighthound small enough not to be a threat to my kitties. Then I went to a breeder's website (a responsible breeder) and read, "Some IGs are never housetrained, no matter how much you work with them." BZZZT.

Pekingese, shih tzus, Old English bulldogs, and anything else with a flat face.

Chihuahuas and most other toy dogs.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 PM
swimming upstream

I find that my choices may change as my life changes. I pretty much am intrigued by all breeds--but know that any dogs entering into this house are looked at as individuals, not necessarily breeds (if that makes any sense!)

Having said that--I dont' see myself with JRT, schnauzer, bully breeds, or overly large (mastiff size) breeds--all for different reasons.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
<----Thanks Allie

This is as a general, bc individual dogs always vary

Any toy breed->not a fan of small dogs.

Bully breed or Mastiffey type dogs(with the exception of rotties and Danes(some people count them as a "Mastiffey type dog"... I don't but just making sure!))-> They tend to not know their own strength(and they have a lot of it), and I just don't find them pleasing to look at.

Chows-> I just don't like chows

any breed with corded hair-> grooming in terms of going to the groomer once a month and brushing regularly is ok with me. I don't even mind shedding. I would have no idea what to do with cords!

Terriers-> TOO much energy.

and any other breed with high DA-> I'm around way too many dogs on a regular basis. My lifestyle just doen'st work with that, and I would hate to have to leave my dog at home because he can't play nice with the other kids.